New class making snowmen or learning inlace/inlay

Is there any interest for a class from Angela and I to make wooden snowmen or learn how to do inlace in wood? If you go to liveedgemesquite.com you can see some tables I have made with the inlace. Really easy. The snowmen are all on the lathe.
Just looking for input to see if we want to set up a couple of classes.
Jeff Whitcomb

4 Likes

Very interested in both.

1 Like

For my own benefit (and others not familiar) - inlace is the process of filling voids in wood with resin-like material, right?

3 Likes

Yes, I use a polymer from a company you can find by typing in Inlace in a search engine. I have recently been told you can use beads from one of the craft stores. I have not tried that yet but will soon. I use CA glue in the application. Thin. It takes about 4-6 layers to complete but it makes for a great inlay and also amenable to almost all finishes.

Snowmen yes! My wife loves snowmen so naturally a small army of snowmen need to flood our house.

2 Likes

I asked Kris to explain how to put a class in for approval.
If accepted Angela and I will provide an outline and specs.
We will also bring documentation for the class. Best woods, where to obtain all consumables needed, etc. We are pumped up. Been taking and now it’s time to give some back.

2 Likes

I am very excited about this @jeffbob. I just took the lathe class a few weeks ago, and I see the appeal. These snowmen are going to be great gifts!

1 Like

Good for you. We will get you hooked on turning.
Chandra is a wonderful teacher also. She made me some mesquite drumsticks for a band I was going to visit. Spyro Gyra. Saw them in 77 and 40 years later. Can’t wait to see them 40 years from now…

2 Likes

You can also use your new Sherline lathe skills to make her a small metal one as a necklace …

3 Likes

OMG, THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! yes

3 Likes

Stop stealing my woodworkers. Actually, I am becoming a Metalhead.
Learning the Plasmacam. Mixed media here I come. I already have mixed metaphors somewhat downpat.

2 Likes

1 Like

Hey, I said, “ALSO” …

:smile:

1 Like

That is cool. Heard that before from my kids.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

Many ways to make a snowman, only a few to make snow.
Thanks for the clarification. I love Makerspace because it is filled with great folks who want everyone to learn what they know and enjoy. I will make it into metal shop one day. I took the HAAS class one time thinking it was for the wood CNC machine.
After an hour in the beginning I was lost. Stayed the whole time so I didn’t insult the teacher. Good lesson on reading comprehension…

1 Like

She’s not saying “why don’t we have both?” She is clearly saying “we need toast”

I thought she was saying, “Just give me what I want and don’t make trouble.”

Jeff Whitcomb

1 Like

That’s what we all say!

Your class offerings are sure to be a big hit, Jeff…Thank! And expect/plan to be asked for an encore for both of them :clap:

And if you need help, now or in the future, working you way through Calendar System/Class Set-up, give me a call.

Thanks. I actually found it on the site. Go figure.
I will schedule two classes for the snowfolks for early October.
On the inlace I just need to see what interest there is.
If the original interest for the snow folks is good I will schedule more.

I appreciate the offer for help.

1 Like

I scheduled our first class for 9-28.
Going to do a second for 10-3.
Probably come up, in events, in a couple of days.
7 PM classes both times.

1 Like