New Ceramic tools:Texture Rollers have arrived! 4.26.21

@Liv7301 suggested that we get some texture rollers at the last committee meeting and they have arrived. If our budget allows, I am hoping to purchase the other ones that were listed. Please note that these were very pricey; please make sure to clean them up and put back in the cabinet labeled “Rollers” after use- we want these babies to last!!
When we first discussed getting these, we discussed keeping them in the locked teacher’s cabinet but I think everyone should have access to them. However, if one goes missing, they will all be locked up.

6 Likes

As a constructive suggestion … you might consider putting several coats of shellac on those before they go into use. It will make cleanup a lot easier with less damage to the rollers.

This is something that’s also done on textured (cookie) rolling pins.

EDIT: In a lower post someone said that the manufacturer recommends against this.

2 Likes

hmm… Great idea! Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!

1 Like

Shellac is used on cookie rolling pins only because it’s food safe. I’m sure you could use lacquer or any comparable product on these.

No, please do not put any shellac or lacquer on these. It will ruin them… MKM’s care instructions specifically state the following:
MKM rollers are finished with tung oil to ensure durability over many years of use. MKM tools are easily cleaned with water and a soft toothbrush.

They need to be able to dry out completely. They should never be submerged.

7 Likes

Oh fun! I just got a few rollers and a stamp from the same place - no duplicates, too. So many things to play with!!

3 Likes

I agree with @Christykaake! I have several of these and they should not be sprayed/coated/treated in any way, other than to have the ability to dry after use. MKM are fabulous and specifically made for clay. The only sticking issues I have ever had with rollers is when using one originally meant for dough/baking.

5 Likes

I actually printed several but haven’t brought them in yet. I’ll probably do so tomorrow.

9 Likes

Cool!! Thank you!! Any chance on teaching a class so more potters can make their own?

2 Likes

I just printed ones I found on Thingiverse but yeah that would be a cool idea

2 Likes

Yeah! That’s super cool! :star_struck:

1 Like