New Calendar and Honorarium process

Ok, despite the bumpy transition, I think I’m in love with some of the features of the new calendar.

Just figured out I can sort and list just the things I’ve registered for, or just the things I’m hosting. And also like the notification features. Awesomeness abounds.

3 Likes

No eta on that enhancement yet.

1 Like

At the risk of suggesting yet more work for an already overworked fellow, but perhaps a roadmap and buglist posted somewhere might alleviate a few questions?

1 Like

@AlexRhodes

Ok, possible lower-priority bug or oddity (or maybe I wasn’t understanding how it works)…

So I was thinking that the option of designating off-calendar setup/tear down time was to prevent classes bumping into each other logistically (i.e. I had a spinning class one night that started 20-30 minutes late because a previous class was still going, ran over their time but wrapping up, but took awhile for them to get out of our way).

Basically setup/tear down doesn’t show on calendar but would prevent another class being scheduled to overlap the prep/teardown. Correct??

So in the new system, next Tuesday, August 9, I have my Spinning/Fiberarts scheduled previously 7-9pm, and included 15 min setup and 15 min tear down. Nice feature.

Then recently added Sewing SIG meeting to start at 6:00 pm. Incidentally, thought I’d set it for 6-6:30 since that’s all we need, gives wiggle if we ran over, but still dodged the 6:45 invisible setup for my spinning class. Set the SIG as event not class, no honorarium obviously. Same room.

Ok, so I’m checking the calendar. The Sewing SIG shows 6-7:00 now. Not 6-6:30, which it took originally with no error

So a few things…

1. is the minimum time an hour, even for events? (can see it being a min hour for honorarium purposes, but I’ve been at 30 min meetings before)

2. once it reverted to an hour, it technically overlaps my prep time completely. I thought the point of having that option was to prevent that. Am I wrong?

In the end it doesn’t matter in this circumstance since both things are mine and I can control-freak it anyway, but had it been two different people/activities it could be a conflict.

Just throwin this out there in case something actually isn’t working right versus me just being confused :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do we report prerequisite issues? I’m trying to register for a class and the new system doesn’t know that I’ve taken woodshop basics. Can I provide a list of the classes I’ve taken?

There’s a separate thread on this. You are not alone. It’s a temporary issue that is currently being resolved. I’m guessing they’ll post once everything is entered

Anyone involved with the calendar know if there is a way to make the emails that are sent when I register for an event, automatically show up on my google calendar?

I’m not sure what the trick is to do it. Seems to vary if things are automatically added to mine or not with other sources.

Random thought: Should https://dallasmakerspace.org/calendar/ redirect to https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/ ? Seems like certain functionality, like logging in and looking at your hosting and attending events requires the latter URL.

2 Likes

One more: I miss the meetup wait-list function; to be notified if a spot opens up was useful.

2 Likes

Would be nice for new events to appear in the Talk forum in a category of “Events”. This would alert Talk users of new classes.

2 Likes

A wait list is a feature that will come to the new calendar system, but its a 1.5 sort of thing and the other updates are a priority at this point.

4 Likes

This could easily be done but I think it would clog up talk. The plan is to have an area on the main DMS page showing the most recently added classes. Not sure which is better but it can be discussed.

4 Likes

At that point, I could just as well bookmark the calendar. Any reason you think that would clog up Talk? How many events are posted per day?

[edit: could also be one thread per month, with the system adding new posts to the end of that reply for events in that month]

Not entirely sure how many are submitted per day, but I just counted 44 events on the calendar in the last 7 days.

Showing most recently added events would be different from subscribing to the calendar because the calendar feed still shows sequential dates. Ordering by recently approved events would show you something that might be next week but also 2 months from now if they were both approved on the same day.

2 Likes

When a class is cancelled, it would be nice if it remained in the system saying “cancelled” with registration disabled instead of vanishing into thin air as it does now…

I think anyplace that does it would be fine - just becomes a bookmark to check daily without scrolling through the entire calendar.

This is a great improvement Alex … good work.

Another small ask…may we please have an indication of the number of open slots in a class other than full/not full?

Also, regarding waiting list suggestion, it has been helpful to me, with respect to Meet-up’s interface, to see who was signed-up/attending a class and who was on the wait list.

@AlexRhodes - the new calendar is much appreciated and I understand that Wait List is a future, lower priority enhancement.

EventBrite also maintains a wait list and you can put in custom text.

One caution for the “wait list”, especially if it’s a recurring class. People need to understand that they are on the wait list for that specific instantiation of the class and that they are not on a general wait list for any future instances of the class. If and when Wait List is added, I suggest that we add a few specific words to the Wait List title or sign-up spot to clarify that.

2 Likes

:astonished:
+5 for excellent use of this word!

2 Likes