New Calendar and Honorarium process

Would you add “CNC Plasma Cutter” as a fulfills requirement? I think the PlasmaCAM PC will be AD’d soon to only allow those who have had the training to log into it. In any case, we need to keep track of who took the class.

2 Likes

Jumping Jehoshaphat…thank you!!

The new event screen is excellent. It looks professional and has all the information one might want on it. Kudos to the you and the other designers.

Created, linked to AD, and added to the class :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Additional feature request: add a checkbox which indicates that any class fee will go to the sponsoring committee. The instructor will not be receiving any funds (and won’t need a W-9 on file).

This is appropriate for classes like the PlasmaCAM (Metal Shop) training and the Michigan Mighty Mite Radio (Amateur Radio/Electronics) build classes.

Thanks!

This feature already exists.

Not as far as I can tell, it does not. There is the option to “Request Honorarium”, and then “Pay Instructor”, but if I don’t click “Request Honorarium” and then set the cost to, say, $100/head, it seems like that will got to the instructor (with no option to change that).

Nope, if the fee is collected through DMS, it ONLY goes to instructor IF they submit receipts for expenses. Now, if the fee is collected OUTSIDE of DMS, the honorarium can only (The full $100) be donated to the committee.

We currently do not allow instructors to charge fees for their own time through DMS. The fees can only be for expense. Now we do (currently) allow a teacher to charge fees for their classes, but they must use a mechanism outside of DMS for that collection.

So, I’d send in a receipt that says “I charged $100/head for instructor time”?

No, only for actual expenses. If a teacher wants to charge for their time, they need to handle the fees outside of DMS system and are not eligible for personal collection of $50 honorarium (though they can donate it).

There will be an agenda item to discuss this at next weeks member meeting.

1 Like

Ah! Ok. Will a how-to document be created which explains this? Might be useful.

1 Like

Is there any direct way to donate my honorarium? From what I remember there isn’t short of filing the W9 then receiving the honorarium to turn around and donate that. I personally just want to stay away from the W9, just due to more to keep up with for taxes.

For me taxes are just straight deductions with almost no paperwork to keep track of.

In the process, and that is a large part of what the meeting will discuss. Which is what the rules and such will be.

2 Likes

Yes, if you click donate the honorarium (or something like that) on the event creation form, it will not require a W-9, and you don’t need to do anything else. As far as the IRS is concerned, YOU, never ‘earned’ the $50.

1 Like

you don’t want to do it that way. First, it’ll be taxable income to you and you’ll pay about 15.5% FICA taxes. Then you’d have to make a charitable contribution. But deductibility kicks in at different points.

Best is to ask for all of Honorarium go to committee (in other words you say I don’t want)

1 Like

Let’s talk multi-part classes for a minute.
Let’s say I set up a class with four two-hour sessions on consecutive days. The system sees this as one class, I receive (potentially) one $50 honorarium. I set up the very same material as four separate two-hour classes on consecutive days, I receive (potentially) $200 in honoraria.
This is an obvious disincentive to using the multi-part format. Now, I’m not saying that multi-part classes should be treated exactly the same as independent classes, but it might make sense to do (say) $50 + $20/session. In this way, a class consisting (say) of a series of ten lessons over ten weeks could be booked as a block.

1 Like

@Owen_Soccer22 … this post is more related to your string of calendar questions than the Shapeoko training post.

72 hours isn’t an issue for timing (IMO) because an instructor has to submit the class 240 hours in advance in order to be eligible for the honorarium (which many instructors do actually want). This means that the class would likely be on the calendar a week (or more) before the actual class. Many instructors also post upcoming events on Talk so prospective attendees could clear their calendars.

Our new schema is an innocent until proven guilty approach - we have rejections on an exception basis instead of approvals for everything. The instructor is supposed to assume that the class will not be rejected unless otherwise notified. I suspect, but do not know, that the 72 hours allows the group of all-volunteers a little breathing room to respond if needed.

Auditors have 72 hours to reject something. If a single auditor approves it, that removes the ability of other auditors to reject it. And a single auditor might not have all the knowledge relevant to a specific class or type of class. For instance … @SewingStuff might approve some type of woodworking class as soon as it’s proposed, because it sounds like a reasonable class. But @AlexRhodes might have some insider knowledge about the woodshop that would cause him to reject the proposal.

But you’re certainly right - although it’s not perfect, it’s a huge improvement over the old system.

2 Likes

@AlexRhodes @wandrson – I need to change the PlasmaCAM class from Dec 1st to Dec 8th due to a conflict that I’d forgotten about, but it seems that I’m past the “change the event” window. The event is not yet live. Can someone fix this for me? Same time and day, just move it forward one week.

Thanks!

Please cancel and resubmit. You should be able to copy it. Change the date and be good. That is the cleaner option.

1 Like