New Aluminum saw - any classes yet?

Pretty much what the title says - are there classes yet for the new saw ?

I have a couple of projects for which that saw would be VERY helpful.

Thanks,

Todd

I’d like to add myself to the list of interested parties. For the upcoming TIG class, I’d love to be able to cut some AL for coupons.

@Chris_Wischkowsky … @Photomancer … would this make a suitable “after-meeting demonstration” for the next committee meeting?

We are going to incorporate it with the coldsaw training as well. We need to replace the lock with the combo lock similar to the others.

1 Like

Any idea on the timeline for that ? Need help ?

It currently has the same type of lock and color as cold cut saw … and cleverly it has the same combination!

1 Like

I’d say talk to @Chris_Wischkowsky about it.

Next time he grabs me to pick my brain about TIG, I’ll just tell him not until I can use the fancy new saw. :grinning:

1 Like

It is a nice saw. Makes pretty good cuts.

If you can tell me what brand/model it is, I’ll look it up, try to find a photo, and post it on the wiki (tools).

4 Likes

Should be this one

Evolution Power Tools RAGE 3-DB 10-Inch TCT Multipurpose Cutting Double Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/build/rage3db.php

4 Likes

Does this mean that my training on the cold cut suffices for using this saw? need to blast several cuts on some aluminum bar. Bandsaw works, but my hands aren’t as steady as I’d like to imagine them.

I would say no, because of the unique safety related differences in the two saws. Find someone who’s used it to “spot train” you?

Just did. Thanks Mike! (Brass steam engine guy; don’t know your Talk handle though).

I’d presume that is @mikeglass

That’s me

2 Likes

No, if you haven’t been trained on it, you need to be.

Given the relatively short training needed for it and general overall ease of use (particularly in comparison to nearly every other powered tool in the machine shop), I’d suggest that it’s a great candidate for an online-only training class.

1 Like