Needing to melt a gold, silver

I have been gathering precious metals from ewaste for a year and have processed it to a dry mud form and would like to see if its possible to use a furnace to melt it to form the final stage. I have my own large graphite crucible to use. Do we have a furnace i could use to do this?

What were you using to create the "mud’? If something like Mercury or various forms of cyanide were used to extract it my guess given how we prohibit brass above melting point (out gassing Zinc) my guess would be NO.

1 Like

I used high concentrate vinegar with sea salt and hydrogen peroxide, it is also mix with a small amount of the end result of aqua regeas/urea extraction process.

Blacksmithing forges are used for steel. We do not smelt anything in them as they are not appropriate for that use. We don’t allow anything but steel in them.

We had at one time a smelting group and it was under the blacksmithing committee, but it is now defunct.
I don’t think we even have any equipment as it was provided by one of the members I believe.
Even then the smelting was limited to aluminum I think,

I’m sorry. You would need a different kind of furnace than what we have in blacksmithing.

Would the jewelry group be a better fit for this question? I know they have crucibles they can use for e.g. lost-wax casting that can get hot enough to melt some metals. Off-gas concerns are probably still key here, though.

Thats a bummer… Ill be investing and building one.