Needed: Simple Exhaust Crack Weld Assistance

Is Metal Shop the right category for welding?

UPDATE: I was able to get under the car and I found exactly where the crack is. It is just a hairline crack along the seam of one of the cats. A simple bead of weld would patch this puppy right up. I can put the car on the lift at DMS and pull this part of the exhaust off if someone would be willing to weld it for me.

@yashsedai offered to help, but he has not yet been certified on the welders at DMS. I will need this done at DMS since this is my daily driver and I would have to take it off, get it patched and put it right back on.

Thanks Chris.

Happy to help with this, reach out to me once you have a picture.

Thanks

Freddy

No takers? Y’all gonna make me resort to using muffler tape? :wink:

Surely thinking of something like this picture below would be enough to make your inner welder cringe and want to help a brother out. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you’re around tonight at 11PM, some muffler welding may happen! I’d want to look at it first, and you shouldn’t need to TIG it, as you’re not going to maintain the stainless steel status of an exhaust system even if you TIG it.

@LukeStrickland,

Removed the TIG from the original post. I think I just had that in there since that was Freddy’s preferred method. He has not had a chance to get certified on any of them at DMS yet unfortunately.

Thx,
Chris

Why not? :blankspace:

Just to explain, my thought with tig was much greater amperage control. The can that is stainless surrounding the internals is extremely thin. Also i was not sure what sort of wire was in the mig gun at the space and its compatability

Thanks

Freddy

We don’t have any source for back gas?

We have two regulators, since we have both the miller and the lincoln. Back Gas wouldn’t be easy, but it’s completely possible to do. Also, I’ve heard of the no flow back gas approach of fill and tape.

In any case, we can come up with something for sure :slight_smile:

(don’t do this, I’m joking)

Remove the feed dogs from the MIG machine, change the tank to 100% Ar, zip tie the gun trigger, set the regulator to a low flow (5-10CFH), and then tape both ends of the pipe, and shove the MIG nozzle through the tape.

(seriously, there are a few safety risks even though it sounds like a good idea)

Don’t worry, this sounds like a bad idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I ask why you want to fix this problem on your car? Is it causing a code?

@LukeStrickland
Thanks for the offer, but I am unfortunately going to be out celebrating the mom-in-laws birthday with the family tonight.
Which means I will be imbibing mucho alcohol to get through. :slight_smile: Then we have to be up at the ass crack of dawn (actually earlier) to go to some balloon festival thing. :confused: :gun:

$40 and about 3 minutes on the lift and my catalytic converter is all welded up. The Roadster sounds so much better now.

Juan at A & B Muffler in Arlington just MIG welded it in place without removing anything.

2 Likes