Need volunteer to repair Ryobi battery charger

I eagerly await your report on the situation.

2 Likes

Well, it’s going to be difficult to use, even if this fixes it. The bag of screws to put it back together has disappeared.

1 Like

Are these like Home Depot screws I could pick up or are they like fancy ones?

1 Like

Suspect we can remedy this without resorting to Gorilla Glue nor Gorilla Tape.

2 Likes

Raymond came in and actually thought of the part in. The blue light is working but there is to be found to put it back together.@brandon_green

He may have also had difficulty doing his internet search considering the soldering iron had not yet been invented

Your wave function collapses into some strange outcomes.

1 Like

That particular output waveform went totally the wrong direction, and hence generated group delay on this thread, and funny looks from folks whom I cannot see.

Thanks for posting.

The heat sink compound was located, the part installed and soldered into place, and the charger powered up with a pretty blue light.

That’s 1 Schottky diode, one bi-directional TVS diode, a pico fuse, and one 6 pin switching regulator/transistor combo part.

Brandon brought a battery into the Electronics Lab, plugged it in and it started charging. He took possession of the charger and is looking for screws to use in reassembling it.

TL/DR; version: It’s fixed, was tested, and is out of the Electronics lab.

7 Likes

Success

Mostly, one port blinks defective, probably related to what killed it in first place

6 Likes

Hmmm… I checked all the larger transistors and didn’t see any shorted ones when I had it all apart. Perhaps one of the tiny wires going to the metal contacts for the charge port broke with all the disassembly and reassembly going on. I had to fix two of them during all the troubleshooting.

The forum software is saying I’m being a post hog here… ROFL!

5 Likes

Yeah, Raymond! lol

Others, who failed to implement the fix that you did, may want to jump in your limelight and secure a fraction of the credit for fixing this important item! Any expectation of receiving some 28+% of the credit for doing about 100% or so of the fixing is just another example of how unruly DMS members need to be straightened out.

Ha!

Seriously, good job. Its cool to see that DMS can rely on electronics to handle things like this.

Kudos to Raymond and Eric.
Thanks for taking this on and getting it done!
:you_are_super:

4 Likes

Well darn! Looks like the Ryobi charger is down again.
It’s residing in the ELab again.
@benemorius worked on it Sun.

May be it’s time to “let go” and send it to the recycler.

If there’s no activity/progress on it in the next ~7 days, I will send it to the recycler.

1 Like

I have ordered a replacement off ebay. All the slots on the broken one were blinking the defective code

1 Like

Check the pico fuse inside?

That’s somewhat amusing to hear from you…

5 Likes

Ahhhh…some are so easily amused :laughing:

1 Like

I have a question.since you have had the charger opened. How much do Ryobi switch between the batteries for charging just the one? Is it only the ground, the ground and the positive or all of the 4 leads? I’m asking bc I’m trying to Arduino magic my single charger to handle multiple batteries. BR Bjarke

It’s been a long time but I think I recall it was ground switched.

I too wanted to modify it to charge multiple batteries simultaneously but I found the entire thing would have needed reengineering just to support even two batteries at once. Most of the power supply is barely adequate to power one battery and in fact not really adequate for 24/7 operation which ours do see at times and that seems to be why they fail. Forced cooling would have resolved this, or just engineering the power supply properly for continuous operation.

Incidentally, we don’t use this old model anymore, and I haven’t seen any of the newer model fail yet. Although that’s possibly just because no one bothers bringing them into electronics for repair anymore.