Need to run a test on the roof

Folks,

The Dallas Amateur Radio Club is loosing their current location where they deploy their DSTAR link. They have been discussing with @AndrewLeCody using our site as a possible replacement.

We need someone who is physically able to get on the roof in the next day or two to run a test with a small (~12" dia.) microwave dish to verify that our site can see the site they need to link to. Is anyone able to help us with this?

2 Likes

For those wondering, D-STAR is a protocol that allows digital voice and data across an amateur radio link. D-STAR generally operates on VHF and UHF frequencies and allows repeaters to link with each other over the Internet.

1 Like

I’d like to learn a little more about this… and would be willing to help out while I’m here over the weekend. Let me know when / what you need.

-Ian

As in, someone who does not have a bum knee?

As in, someone who has a key?

Someone like infrastructure ?

1 Like

I was not aware that the roof access was locked. I also want to emphasize that this will not be an installation of anything yet, we just need to bring a small dish up to the roof and see if 1) we have line of sife to the RACES antenna, and if so 2) do we get a good enough signal.

IF those tests work, then we need to talk about what is needed for the installation and who needs to be involved. At this stage we just need someone who can get up on the roof. Personally, I have a problem with heights and there is no way I can make myself climb a ladder to the roof.

Also, this is somewhat time critical for DARC, their current location is going to be shut down next weekend.

I’ll be around on Sunday and would help though I’ve no key. Infrastructure is having their committee meeting at 3PM.

Thanks! @jonathan_brandenburg Can you arrange to get the equipment and people we need to the space at 2:30-3:00pm tomorrow?

Got it. As in, someone who is foolish brave enough to climb a ladder while carting a dish. I just wanted to know if I could or could not be helpful.

However, given that @jphelps has offered to help and I’ll be out of town on the chosen day my ladder climbing prowess is of no benefit.

I do wish great luck for all involved!

I have no problem with ladders (only snakes). I’d volunteer.

I’d do it, but the timing is horrible. I have stuff for Thanksgiving until Friday at best.

Hopefully we have some rope and can make use if it here :smile:

The more the merrier!

While we’re up there I’d like to see if we can go over air filter replacement. I believe that also involves a trip to the roof …

@jphelps. I will be over at the warehouse of wonder letting people tour the grandeur.

But @jonathan_brandenburg will be there with the test dish and more importantly the knowledge of how to use it.

We are “standing down” for this afternoon. We have determined we no longer
have access to the wireless configuration necessary to create the test
link. As a result, I will NOT be at Makerspace this afternoon with a dish
and we will not need access to the roof for the purpose of testing the link
to downtown.

Sorry for the change, but that’s why I wanted to test the configuration in
my home lab before getting to the roof.

Thank you to @wanderson, @jphelps, @zmetzing (and others on the list) for
the assistance!
jb

1 Like

When your ready next time call me at 469-579-7811 or text me. I have roof access and we have rope to hoist anything up along with a tool to help.

1 Like

Does anybody know what it takes to set up a personal weather station for something like Weather Underground? Would the landlord allow that?

We can explore something like this.

What do you need to link to? Do you just need general internet access? I’m guessing the D-star would need a trivial amount of bandwidth at a very low duty cycle. Could be work out a deal with DMS to provide this, considering some DMS members are DARC members as well?

Visit http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/overview.asp

Also, @Krissy_Heishman is a real life storm chaser with an impressive array of equipment. She would be a good person to talk with.

I have been looking at putting up a PWS at my house in Cedar Hill because the PWSs in my neighborhood are not reliable if they even stay online for very long. I am mostly interested in rainfall and wind speed/direction so I can be more efficient/effective watering my two acres.