Need to return Delta Table Saw, sander and dust collector

@RoboGreg, I helped move the Delta from your garage to Ladybird many moons ago. Do you need the use of my truck/trailer again to move things back home?

7 Likes

This would be a huge safety violation. Expulsion would be the most likely outcome.

What are you talking about @Kriskat30? The bypass is only temporary and reset when ever the power is cycled. Also, as @kbraby explains, even though the bypass is temporary and resets every power cycle, effectively no members have access to the bypass keys. This is a complete none issue and not worthy of any saber rattling.

3 Likes

Hey Mike, thanks for the offer. The tools are going to be moved to the new REV office/warehouse which is over on Crosby only 5mins away from the Makerspace so it should be easy to grab with a dock high truck sometime in the next week or so.

Before you get your panties in a knot, she’s referring to what Zach said. (Note her reply was directed to him)

Modifying a safety device has serious liability issues for DMS if someone were to get hurt.

1 Like

I wanted to say thanks for loaning the space that gorgeous, reliable beast. Before we had a saw stop and even after I used that thing so much. That thing made made so many cabinets!

3 Likes

Disarming wasn’t in mine also. Someone asked about it but we were told it wasn’t part of the training.

Would this be the first time a fob is required to override a safety feature at DMS?

Would that be a hazardous mix of the use of the fob on “dangerous equipment”?

Throwing my name in behind the not-another-sawstop petition. Is there any talk yet about an actual replacement schedule/timeline for the Delta?

2 Likes

My guess would be the next Woodshop meeting on the 25th.

I’m curious where you got your screenshot.
Mine looks like this when the (as highlighted in yellow in your screencap) zmetzing message to which kriskat30 replied is expanded

making it appear as though expulsion of the person not following procedure to “…check the equipment before use, which is a violation of shop safety rules…” is in the cards. This makes it appear Kris is suggesting key access, or RFID if modified, is acceptable; not following protocol is not, and might get you expelled…

And you replied directly to Kris’s post, further muddying the waters with your unhelpful response. Unless you are indeed referring to @Kriskat30 's panties, in which case…why?

Anytime someone gets hurt here it is a serious liability issue; the nearly useless liability waiver members sign will not stop someone from suing if they get hurt and feel like suing. There are so many things DMS would/could be liable for, singling out any one of them just to be a white knight is silly.

3 Likes

“White knight”? Now that’s being silly. Zach is referring to modifying the safety. We have enough issues with RFID switched devices like the Delta saw not working when users attempt to badge in. If the RFID switch malfunctions and causes the safety to be off on the Saw Stop, resulting in injury, that’s far more serious than a user getting hurt on a non-safety equipped tool.

Thanks for clarifying. Your post read the other way.

Yeah, with all the issues in the wood shop with the tag readers I wouldn’t rely on them beyond power on/off - certainly not with a safety device.

1 Like

I very much agree.

I have a Craftsman cabinet table saw that I’d be glad to loan to DMS to fill the space left by the departing saw. It’s still very high functioning and can run on either 120 or 240. It’s been sitting in the corner of my garage for the last couple of years unloved, so it would be great to make use of it. Please PM me if the committee is interested and we could probably get it over there this weekend or next.

5 Likes

Is the Delta still at the space and operational? Do we have a schedule for its removal yet?

Thanks!

To answer my own question, in case any one else is curious - as of this morning (10/23) the Delta is still there and operational.

The tools that are being returned will be discussed at Thursday’s committee meeting at 6pm in the workshop area. We will talk about replacement options and vote on the purchases. Everyone who has an interest in using the new equipment should attend to have a voice in the final decision. If we can find a more comfortable location to have the meeting we will move there after the meeting has convened. If this is the case, I will post a sign on the double doors to the woodshop.
*I will be in the woodshop all day on Thursday catching up on the missed maintenance day tasks. There may be a machine or two out of service for a few hours. Anyone who wishes to help or learn is encouraged and welcome to stop by. There will be plenty of volunteer opportunities

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Freud plastic cutting blade on the SawStop?