Need to cut lots of rod and tubing - suggestions?

I am going to need to cut many pieces of brass (7/32 and 9/32") and aluminum (1/4") tubing as well as 1/16" stainless rod
(1/16-3/16") to a number of specific lengths.

Can anyone suggest a way to make it easier for me to cut lots of parts and easily cut a batch when I need more?

Jig and bandsaw?

Is there a CNC way to do this? Do we have a small CNC lathe?

Thanks!

How accurate do you need the final length to be? Is your tolerance, eh, 1/4 in do, or what?

Does it have to be square?

It needs to be reasonably (eyeball) square and accuracy within a 16th or so, preferably more like 1/32"

Get with @Chris_Wischkowsky for using the new miter saw metals like you have if they can bee done on the new diamond blade saw (copper, brass, bronze, alum, other soft metals) may be what you need.

Id set up a jig & cut them on the lathe. You could use the new saw but id be worried about how thin the tube is. You might have to do some testing on that.

3 Likes

I would do that on the Sherline manual lathe as the parting tools for the Clausing are not great currently. The tubing is too small for cutting with the Evolution saw, even the band saw will put less than the requisite three teeth at a time on the work piece. The small tubes will fit through the Sherline lathe spindle so it will be easy to advance the tube and repeat the cut. If groups of piece will be the same length then you could rig up some sort of block that the freshly cut end is brought into contact and re run the parting tool to repeat a same length cut over and over again. The CNC Sherline is not operational yet, but even when it is; it will not have the ability to automatically advance the work piece through the spindle. So the manual lathe will do just as well for this operation.

1 Like