Need Suggestion: Video Camera (camcorders) as Webcam

I have got a desktop for my daily needs and was looking for a good webcam to use in Zoom kinda meetings. Surprisingly all good webcams are out of stock or back-ordered and wouldn’t be available for like next 2-3 months.
Now, I have been contemplating for a while to buy a nice camcorder to capture some events at my home and around. Are there any good camcorders which can also be used to live stream/webcam (could be using some mods)?

1 Like

I have a Canon 7D DSR that has a live mode when tethered via USB. Maybe pawnshops for old DSLRs?

2 Likes

whats your budget? Canon just released some drivers that’ll allow you to use select Canon DSLR/mirrorless cameras as webcams.

https://1.shortstack.com/VChq6Z

CURRENT COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS

EOS-1D X Mark III

EOS-1D X Mark II

EOS 5DS R

EOS 5DS

EOS 5D Mark IV

EOS R

EOS 6D Mark II**

EOS RP**

EOS 7D Mark II

EOS 90D**

EOS 80D**

EOS 77D**

EOS Rebel T7i**

EOS Rebel T6i

EOS Rebel T7**

EOS Rebel T6

EOS Rebel SL3**

EOS Rebel SL2**

EOS Rebel T100**

EOS M6 Mark II**

EOS M50**

EOS M200**

PowerShot G5X Mark II**

PowerShot G7X Mark III**

PowerShot SX70 HS**

2 Likes

I already have Nikon DSLR. I am just looking for Camcorders or GoPro type devices that I would be able to dual use. I budget is under $300

https://sparkosoft.com/sparkocam see if your nikon dslr is on the list. This will do what your asking.

There’s also the route of using an hdmi capture card with UVC. But most of them are sold out for months. Unless you want to over pay for one, but does the job. Look up “Elgato Camlink 4k” , only place i’ve seen it is ebay, and they’re auctioning for 2x or more of msrp.

the sl2 and sl3 might be able to stay under $300.

If you have a reasonably modern cellphone, just use the camera on that. I use the Droidcam app on my Android phone (and the matching software on my PC) for streaming and it works great.

I didn’t know about the webcam drivers!

I have been recording video on my T6 to play around with. I’m shocked how much B roll is required to make a video :joy:

Its a fairly new feature they just released.

Nope, my dslr is not listed. :frowning_face:

which nikon do you have?

I have D3200

there’s many ways to get what you need. i recommend watching this whole long video.

1 Like

@Paul_Mai Thanks, will check.

BTW has any one used a GoPro like a webcam? I am seeing some youtube videos which say it works…

GoPros are ok, usually one is just recording directly to an SD card. Streaming is usually not ideal last time I checked.

Personally though If I was to get any webcam that’s not usb/rpi based it would be a bulk buy off ebay for something made in the last five years or so. The reason being is most smartphones these days have some great cameras on them which rivial DSRs come with really good battery life, mounts for standard studio stands, several universial lense adaptors that don’t break one’s budget plus run IP Webcam so I can stream that back to my main system via OBS or a web browser.

@Team_Moderators This thread is about digital cameras and should be under /c/digital-media not the programming, pc tech, and hacking side. Think we should move it?