Need some advice with a repair job

Of course, they are fine establishments in my experience.
I’ve just done a cursory search on car-part.com and I did want to ask if any of y’all knew of any other sites. I’ll probably make some calls tomorrow morning so I can get an idea of what they have, then compare that to what’s on offer at ebay and the like.
Thank you all for the suggestions and clarifying questions. I feel like it’s starting to come together now.

1 Like

In the Good Old Days, the cool kids had these on their street rods:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1303-step-by-how-to-install-hoodpins/

1 Like

They were especially important before cars had a double hood release. My 1959 Ford didn;t have a double release … but the hood opened backwards.

Ok, so I was able to find a replacement bracket at a salvage yard, and replaced it myself today. Turns out it was only $45, so I was able to grab it and a little after 4 I had the thing set.

As Tom warned, I did indeed forget to reattach the latch release cable after screwing it back on, but I hadn’t put the plastic grille back on, so I was able to remove it and pop the latch by hand. All in all, It was a great success and I only broke 3 plastic snap-in retainers, which I consider its own victory given that they’re only meant to snap in and not back out.

Thank you all for the advice, and thank you to @patrickpleez1 for explaining I could remove the radiator coolant bottle without making a mess. Now I just need to do some tweaking to get the hood to sit as close to perfect as it can.

6 Likes