Need Laptop for Shapeoko 2

I don’t want to disrail this talk thread, but … @uglyknees - do we want to post a request on Talk for someone to donate an old laptop to CA for this purpose? AFAIK, that laptop can be pretty rudimentary - I think all it needs to do is access the internet. Someone might have an old laptop they might be willing to donate.

@StanSimmons you have any of those rebuilds that might be available to buy? We’d need it to be Win10 so it’s supportable.

I should have one available in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner. The ones I have now are already spoken for.

Nah. You’ve got several machines at DMS that aren’t Win 10 now.

Infrastructure plans to have all the DMS owned machines on Win 10 eventually, as we get time.

1 Like

I will suggest we want this to be managed by Infrastructure. They can give me/others admin rights to that machine only so we can handle the non-standard bits.

@StanSimmons, you’re right on the need I think: minimum win 10 with good browser performance + able to run Java well. 15 inch size if possible, some of the user base has less than ideal eyesight. Edit: including me! Lol.

2 Likes

Well just so you know, I have all the time in the world, and I dropped logistics to be on your committee. (I’m not so keen on folks who have to be on half the committees listed. I try to keep it to the ones where I can really offer my time.) So if you need someone to babysit upgrades, you just tell me.

I resemble that remark. :wink:

4 Likes

Whatever we need let’s get it. Just let me know where and what I need to swipe a card at. :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I sure would like to see us reallocate something that DMS already owns - especially since the hardware requirements are so minimal to run the Shapeoko.

The frugal side of me says let’s wait and see what pops up.

We can always go back to my first idea of re-arranging to room to let it connect to the computer that hosts the dye-sub printer.