Need help with getting started in the science section

I am a chemistry major and interested in doing organic synthesis, but I don’t know how to get started because I don’t see any certification classes.

1 Like

Certification requirements are typically attached (not literally) to specific pieces of equipment, not to just “doing stuff.” Is there some particular piece of equipment that you need to use that requires certification? If you aren’t sure, most committees keep a list on their wiki. Those are available a few clicks from the DMS home page. If you find something needing certification that you want to use, you can usually find a member willing to do a one-off training session with you. Just post a request in the Science category.

Paging @Josh_Melnick.

We generally do one off training in science, best way to get it is to come to a science committee meeting on Sundays at 2:30pm. Are you just wanting to use glassware and the fume Hood? Are you bringing your own chemicals or the science committees supply?

1 Like

Wanting to use the glassware and fumehood, but what I have in mind only uses OTC chemicals that I would bring e.g. sulfuric acid drain opener, baking soda, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, copper (ii) sulfate pentahydrate root killer). I think it would be fun to host a class that shows how to make isopropyl acetate pear fragrance for perfumes and soaps etc ,which can be made from OTC reagents only, thru fischer esterification. Could be used for flavoring too, but would have to buy special food grade reagents

I believe there are many other esters that can be made from OTC chemicals only… salicylates, methyl esters (from methanol in HEET antrifreeze), ethyl esters (from everclear). I saw a NurdRage video that shows that it’s possible to make propionic acid and formic acid from OTC reagants, and i’ve seen procedures for making butyric acid from sugar/cheese fermentation, so propionate and formate and butyrate esters too’

Are the committee meetings every sunday?

1 Like

So we have a big monthly science meeting once a month with voting. And generally we meet more casually almost every Sunday (but I guess not quite every Sunday). Pretty sure we’ll be there this Sunday.

I think the fume hood was recently fixed and set up but I would have to check with Josh or David, to confirm. It had been discussed that we were wanting to do some classes with some of those experiments (ie. pear). So I would follow up with either of them if you were wanting to do that. Josh was tagged in this so I imagine he’ll see it eventually. Also perhaps after talking to David and Josh, I would post an interest check on here to see which experiments people would actually be interested in learning about.