Need help with a couple tack welds

I have an item made of thin (~16ga, not a great estimator though) 304 stainless that is spot-welded together. Problem is that it was designed by a lazy moron and is now slowly falling apart.

I don’t know much about welding, so I’m hoping someone could help me make a couple of simple tack weld repairs that would be (highly) corrosion-resistant. I’m usually at the DMS on weekends but could get down there on a weekday late in the evening.

@Team_Metal_Shop

Do we have a current spot welder that works? Any plan to replace it? These are great tools for sheet metal, especially repairing items that have previous spot welds. I recommend a 220V model for a heavy duty cycle and higher amps.

We do. Works fine. (at least it did last week)

2 Likes

Is there someone that could help me by setting it up to do the spot weld? It’s a 90-degree weld connection between the two pieces of sheet metal, but I don’t know whether that affects the difficulty of using a spot welder for repair.

Shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll be up there teaching in the metal shop on Tuesday (class starts at 7:30 and ends around 9) and Thursday (class starting around 5:30 until around 7) a little before or after those classes would work for me.

4 Likes

Not to piggy back but… I’ve got a bunch of folding chairs I need to spot weld the back padding back on to, if I might could join if appreciate it

1 Like

Spot welds are supper easy - about 5 minutes of training. Best part for you is it will match the original, can add a few more for strength.

I will meet up with you after the class tomorrow night. Thank you for the help!

Cool. And more characters.

The more, the merrier.

Just replied to your TIG question in the other thread.

If you really need the corrosion-resistance, you need to do your welding under a shielding gas to prevent the stainless from oxidizing.

For filler-less shielded welding processes, you can choose from TIG and …TIG; both of which allow you to spot weld.

If you don’t really need the corrosion-resistance, then the spot welder will probably be faster and easier to use.