Need help getting to the online training courses

I am a new member as of 4 days ago… And I can’t seem to find where all the online training videos are. When I am at Makerspace and someone asks me how long I’ve been here they tell me I should go do the online video’s but I’m not sure where those are… Can anyone direct me to those videos please!

2 Likes

Without knowing for which aspect of DMS you are seeking knowledge, I would guess these folks mean generic online videos (e.g. YouTube). The only specific-to-DMS training I know exists is for 3D printing at learn.dallasmakerspace.org.

2 Likes

Try this link:

http://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/login/index.php

This is where the DMS-specific online training will be (at some point in the future). I think the only one that is live is 3D printing.

EDIT: Ignore this. Same as what Andrew said. :blush:

3 Likes

Thank You! I guess I should have thought of learn,dallasmakerspace.org… Whoops!

1 Like

I’ve been reading and reviewing various threads that talk about online training for “training required tools” and also the requests for “how to use” videos for other tools and equipment.

I’ll save discussing training videos and quizzes for equipment that requires training before use for another day, but I do think there’s a huge need for easy access to “general how-to use” videos on many of the tools and equipment we have at the space.

What if we installed a video training kiosk in each area of the space where you could quickly find call up the tool you’re interested in learning about, and then you’d have a list of curated videos that cover how to use that tool? We could link to any of the thousands of YouTube videos that have already been created, or shoot our own short videos for DMS-specific tools.

I realize that we could just as easily expand our DMS wiki tools page to contain the same links to selected videos and people could just view them on their phone too…but, having a kiosk with a larger screen readily available could be a lot more convenient and easier to see at the very location where you’re using the tool.

I don’t think it would cost much to put one of these together and try it in one location to see what the usage is like before expanding further.

Here’s a link explaining the concept in more detail…

Anyone else interested in collaborating on setting this up? Does Anyone have a suitable touch-tablet we could use for hardware? (making the kiosk enclosure s the easy part)

1 Like