Need help finding a replacement small conveyer belt

I am having trouble finding a replacement for the belt for the one that has fallen apart in my 1970 Midway White Lightning EM gun game project that is being restored currently in Vector. The belt is used to transport the plastic balls back uphill into the feed tube from the catch basin in the back of the cabinet. Everything I am finding is way too big for this application and I figured someone on here would know of a better keyword for my search or know of a place that carries similar belts. So far I have stuck out on the leads I had so far and direct replacements are no longer available through the normal arcade part suppliers. Absolute worst case I will have to fabricate my own belt but would rather find something off-the-shelf if I could. This belt is the single biggest issue with the game and it’s failure is what probably took the game out of service on location after about 40 years. The game itself wants to play and work otherwise so this is the biggest hurdle to overcome to get it back to working.

Here are the key measurements:

• The measurement around the two rollers is between 22-5/8 and 22-3/4 inches.
  • Belt width 7/8 inch, maximum of 1 inch.
  • Distance between lugs on belt is 7/8 inch, does not need to be exact but would be nice to be close.
  • Lugs are 1/4 by 1/4 inch square
  • Overall belt thickness with lug is around 5/16 inch. Cannot be much more than this otherwise it would interfere with the ball guides and would require major alteration to work.
  • The lugs are facing away from the rollers and help transport the balls up about a 45 degree slope about 8 inches high.

I am attaching a link to an image of the belt so you get an idea of what I am looking for and what it must fit inside of. Thanks for any leads on a suitable replacement belt.

Try the McMaster-Carr Supply catalog. Go to their catalog page 1109. https://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belt-pulleys/=1765041 Check out several of the pages forwards and backwards, they have a very nice selection of belts. Good Luck!

Interesting tidbits on belts from Gates:
https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/gates/industrial/power-transmission/catalogs/gatesmectrol_belt_pulley_catalog.pdf

3D Printing one out of Ninjaflex might be worth a try if you strike out at McMaster Carr.

2 Likes

While eating dinner I had the same idea of 3D printing a replacement with ninjaflex as well.

After another long session looking for a replacement belt I stumbled across a few NOS exact replacements at $40 each from a guy in Canada. I am ordering two so I have a spare just in case in the future. The guy who has it is known for having lots of EM and very early solid state pinball and arcade parts including many unobtainable NOS parts that nobody else has.

Now I can turn my attention to going through the electronic and other mechanical assemblies while I wait for the parts to arrive after going through customs. :slight_smile:

May still try making one with ninjaflex just to try it out and see how it holds up.