Need Help Drilling a Couple of Holes (resolved)

I’ve got a metal plate that needs a couple of 1/2" holes drilled into it. Not being trained in any of the equipment in the machine shop, I’m hesitant to try this myself. Is there anyone who will be at the Space Sunday that could help me?

3 Likes

How soon can you be here?

4 Likes

I’m at the Space now.

3 Likes

Task completed! …

9 Likes

Dang.
This brought back memories.
I was working as a graduate tech one time, building a test rig and needed to drill a 5/8" hole in a metal plate.
I was standing on top of a metal table where the plate was attached, and drilling the hole with a Milwaukee “Hole Hawg” drill.
I mashed the little button so I would not have to hold the trigger in the closed position.
When the bit broke through the plate, it seized, something familiar to machinists, but not me (at the time).
The torque was enough that the drill was jerked from both of my hands.
So there I was on top of the metal table with the drill rotating about the seized bit, no clue what to do next.
The situation resolved itself when the power cord wrapped itself around the drill bit and eventually shorted it out cutting power to the lab.
Power cord to repair and circuit breaker to reset.
Lesson learned: Respect the torque involved in drilling large holes in metal, especially when the drill breaks through. And be sure you “really” meant to mash that little button keeping power on.
Fun times.
B-)

3 Likes

Did it on Bridgeport. Easier to clamp and drill. Quick deburr, about 5 minutes of work with cleanup and putting tools away.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, David!

2 Likes