Need Help Creating Case Labs Computer Case Part

Hey, I’ve been lurking for awhile and I’ve been working on a custom pc case part, possibly multiple if I can teach myself CAD and CAM but I’m pretty new to all this and machining. I’m willing to pay and I am going to provide the material for the project. It is for a 360 mm radiator bracket needed to be bent into a certain shape. I struggle with wording things but here is what I have designed in sketchup so far (what it is supposed to look like and the flat model):

It is to be made out of 5052-H32 Aluminum at 0.09" thickness (2.3mm). Or if anyone has any tips prepping this in Sketchup for a CNC machine I could see about using the ones at school.

1 Like

Since this is made out of sheet metal and going to be bent, I would ask whoever manages the CNC ahead and brake about the bend deduction for your aluminum thickness to 90 degrees. You have to subtract that much off the length for every bend(the metal stretches that much whenever you bend it). Then bend it at the distance you want the bend-1/2*the bend deduction.

1 Like

Ah that is what those lines are for the flat version of the piece at the end, trying to figure out how much extra material will need to be inbetween each bend. I’ll definitely spend some time recalculating, thanks!

1 Like

This is a super useful resource, courtesy of our good friend Tony

1 Like

I love this video! This was the one I used actually!

1 Like

The allowance also accounts for the fact it is a radius “cutting corner” rather than going all the way to the end. There are tables that show this. Have strips cut so you can do a few trail runs to see much spring back there is so you don’t over former the angle. One it is tricky to get it back nice and straight, but also reverse forming can cause cracking.

If the the angle is UNDER formed, you can continue in the same direction without any adverse problems. Whatever work hardening that occurred, adding a couple of degrees won’t hurt - but reverse forming a couple of degrees does. While not as critical for what you’re doing, if something was over formed in aerospace, part was scraped if beyond finger pressure to move into position.

2 Likes

Fusion 360 has capabilities for sheet metal with bends.
We have inventor & solidworks also which can do it

2 Likes

I think what I’ll do is finish up learning Fusion 360 and see if I can export what I have in sketchup or just recreate it in fusion.