Need Help CNC a Shaft

Hey everyone,

I have a shaft that I need machined on the CNC. The job should be simple but I have no experience with the tool. Is anyone available this week to help? I attached a drawing of what the final shaft should look like (material is aluminum 6061). Thank you!

Gear Shaft Drawing 07-21-2019.pdf (99.8 KB)

Unless the CNC lathe is up, this would be best done on the Colchester. Can you use a manual lathe?
@BobKarnaugh is a great machine shop teacher. He is having a Bridgeport class this Saturday, so if you go early and meet up with him, he can probably help you machine it.

1 Like

The Haas is a mill, so not particularly suited to this.

By the drawing, it’s pretty straightforward to do on a manual lathe. If you haven’t used it, the lathe basics (required to use the lathe) will teach you enough to make the part.

2 Likes

So how many are you needing? What are your tolerances?

That would be pretty easy & quick to Machine.

I made something very similar on the sherline lathe on Saturday. I wasn’t overly concerned with precision but it turned out pretty close to what I aimed for.

1 Like

I just need to make 2 of them with a tolerance of 0.005”. Are any of you guys available to give me a hand next week? I would really appreciate it!

Danny,

I am expecting to be in Wednesday afternoon/evening and on Saturday afternoon for committee meeting and Bridgeport class. Also, I have a Bridgeport class on Tuesday evening, the 30th. This is a very basic form to make on the manual lathe. If you have the part that is expected to fit on the ends of this shaft on hand, it is possible to test the fit while closing in on the final dimension. Really useful if a pressed fit is desired.

Regards,
Bob

@BobKarnaugh Thanks for the info! can you let me know what time is the committee meeting on Wednesday? I would like to be there. Also, just registered for the manual lathe class next week :slight_smile:

Danny,

The machine shop committee meeting is on Saturday at noon.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Danny. Can you clarify something. You mention needing the parts done in Aluminum 6061 but the plans say 304 Stainless. Is Aluminum really going to work for the application?

Also, I recently purchased a Grizzly G0752 10x22 metal lathe for my shop. I’m actually looking for small projects just to learn on. I’m not promising anything but I have 6061 on hand and am going to try making one of these to the specs you mentioned. I have a 1 inch Mic so I should be able to get the OD’s right. I don’t have a depth mic atm so i’ll have to get close with my digital calipers. I’ll let you know how i make out.

1 Like

Hi Danny. Again, no promises but I’m going to be at the space this afternoon/evening to try and finish these up. I have one long piece turned to the correct OD and am hopefully going to put the finishing touches on the ends. If I finish them, i’ll send you a note about where i’ll leave them for you.

Hey Paul, I’ve tried messaging you a couple of times. Could you shoot over a text? It’s tough for me to be active on the forum because of work but I always have my phone with me. Thank you again for the help :grinning: