Need HAAS Job Done... Will pay ca$h

I’ve posted about this before and got some good suggestions re step drills and such, but after really looking at what I need to do, I think this is much better suited for a CNC mill. Some of the holes have flats on them, etc.

If a part this size will fit into the HAAS, is there someone who can do it for me? I’m certainly willing to pay for it. I’m not certified on the HAAS and I’m trying to stay away from people due to health risks…

I have DXFs ready to go. This picture should give an idea of what I’ll need. The enclosure is 16x16x8" and the metal is 2mm thick. Smallest radii are 2mm.

No horse in this race, but to me that looks like a sheet metal part.

Unfold the box, cut it out on cnc plasma cutter, use the brake to fold into place. If you need a sealed box, weld or solder the edges.

Solid works has a function specifically for sheet metal work and will do all your bend radius calculations for you.

$.02

5 Likes

Totally agree, this is a sheet metal.

It could also be made with a slight 90 deg lip on adjoining edges so when folded you can spot weld, would look cleaner than weld or brazing. Powder coat and it would be clean professional like a computer case.

1 Like

The case already exists and is totally finished and powder coated or painted. I am NOT going to tear this apart. My drawing is a very simplified depiction made just for placing the cutouts.

2 Likes

Ahh ok that makes more sense now lol.

No idea if this fits in the haas, good luck!

2 Likes

According to what I saw in the Wiki, the Haas has a 20" tall work envelope. So I’m hoping…

1 Like

@TBJK @procterc What is the vehicle Z height on the Haas. If clamped on table it would be 16" from table to surface, cutter would only have to extend less than .500". If so, then this would be easy.

My first reaction is that it looks like a real nightmare for chatter. Really curious to see how it gets done, if it’s done on the Haas.

2 Likes

Perhaps. That would certainly be the case for jigsawing or anything with an up/down motion.

How many do you need done?

Just one. This is an enclosure for a CNC machine I’m building for home.

1 Like

Totally alternate suggestion: large cut a rectangle out , and then fill in that space with a sheet. Have some overlap, and will still look nice. The sheet could be metal or plastic.

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly. You won the keyboard race!

2 Likes

Just one? I would cut the panels out of the box, do my machining or plasma cutting operation to get the holes in them, then weld them back in and powder coat them.

2 Likes

I second/third Dougs suggestion. We do that with a lot of our panels at work. They will cut a relatively large hole, then use a little larger panel sheet metal “Patch Panel” that bolts on.

3 Likes

So is what I’m hearing that this isn’t worth doing on the Haas? If so that’s disappointing. I was hoping for a professional looking job, not something hacked together.

The place I bought the enclosure from has machining services. I’ma hit them up and see what it’ll cost.

Matt, how thick is your sheet metal?
A couple straight edges with a nibbler would make it look great.

It’s about 2mm

A jigsaw is also vastly more tolerant of that type of non-rigid environment than an end mill is. I spent a few years in panel shops and if they didn’t have a knockout punch for a particular hole, out came the jigsaw. Make some careful cuts and clean them with a file (you could even repaint the edges to match) and it looks absolutely fine.

In higher production situations I’ve seen what Tim posted as well, but I agree it doesn’t look very good.

2 Likes

Arguably, it is more professional to have a single sheet, cut exactly how you want it, and have that affix internally to the enclosure with welds or pop rivets. No chance of the problems previously mentioned with a hollow box that would need some strengthening in order to overcome chatter etc.
Plus, if you decide to alter the layout later, you are not out the locking box, just the dimensions of your panel.

But… it is your box, and only you can decide your satisfaction and your specifications. Good luck on whichever methodology you employ.