Need Font Download

@Team_Laser

Hi, I need to download couple fonts on the computer for the big thunder. Proxima Nova and Vanguard. Please let me know if that’s possible.

Thank you,
Just a rookie- Caio

The easiest way to prep your file is to open the file in your editor of choice [I use Inkscape because I’m cheap] and convert the text into a path. That way you do not need to rely on having the correct font installed.

In Inkscape, if you select your text and then implement the “Object to Path” option under the “Path” menu. I know Adobe Illustrator has a similar command/option as well.

Tom

7 Likes

Thank you so much. Was able to do this and get the font over. But 1/2 way thru the job the machine is going crazy.

Reopen the vector file and look at the path. Sometimes the conversion adds a number of unnecessary nodes.

3 Likes

Not sure if it is related, but there was a problem reported earlier…

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/big-thunder-doing-some-weird-shit-to-files-9-12-19/62376

But if you’re using Big Thunder, @altelecky said he was able to “see” the errors in the “preview” display on the cutter. I’m not sure if the issue was repeatable or resolved.

I will admit it ends up taking a lot of time for me to set things up for my cuts - and most of the time is relearning things from my last job.

I also assume your doing a vector “cut” and not a raster print. You should be able to do it either way [for the raster though, I just import the bitmap instead of converting it to a path].

Tom

1 Like

I was rastering an image… half way thru the machine started doing lines all over my design. (As if the head had to move to a new starting point and kept firing as it relocated). I went back to see if I had any hidden lines on my design or had screwed something up. Neither was the problem, re ran the path on the computer and whatever path the machine took while firing, didnt happen on the screen. If that makes sense

1 Like

What machine were you using? Were you using RDWorks or LightBurn? Did you finally get it working?

Raster images will “print” all colors, so if you had a line that was similar to the background color it’s going to be marked… but it sounds like you already went down that road.

Not sure what could be causing that issue; @Team_Laser is the best bet on help - but all the information you can give them would be beneficial. Not sure if having access to the file would be helpful or not…

Big thunder and rdworks. Eventually I ran the same file on the thunder 35 by the metal shop, in a 10th of the scale I originally needed. So the file worked fine. And no I wasn’t able to get it working. Someone else showed up and said the same thing happened to them yesterday.

This error sounds a lot like what was happening to me on Big Thunder yesterday. I was able to see the error in the little window on Thunder but not in the preview on the computer. But yeah, the thing where it was like watching someone draw while someone else moves the paper, basically.