Need Cosplay Advice.. or Help

I’ve been working on a cosplay for around Halloween time and I’m quickly coming to the realization that I’m in over my head, and I’m looking for advice on where to go from here.

The cosplay I’m working on is of Mei from the game Overwatch ( I’ve collected Blizzard’s official reference images here: http://imgur.com/a/0aGg2 ). The original idea was that I would do several things myself: The boots (foam work), the gun (3d printing) and the belt (leather or simple foam work as well). A friend is sewing the pants since they’re within her skill level. The hard part was always going to be the coat and gloves - the original idea was to get those commissioned.

The problem I’ve run in to is that while the gun is progressing, the boots are (I feel) behind schedule because my pattern-making skills are worse than I imagined, so it’s been very slow going and I’m fearing I’m falling behind schedule. I’ve also run out of people to ask for commissions for the parka and gloves, since everyone’s schedule is full.

I’m looking for advice about how to proceed from here. The belt hasn’t even been started (though it’s a relatively simple thing to make, I worry about sizing it before the parka is done), and the parka and gloves haven’t even been started. My pattern making skill is proving to be a little inadequate, and my sewing skill is nil, so I know I don’t have the ability to get this done myself. And while I can get the gun done, it’s kind of pointless to have a gun without the more important coat and gloves.

I’d love some help getting a pattern made for the boots, but that still doesn’t answer the big question of the parka and gloves. Should I continue looking for someone to commission? Does anyone know of someone who has time on their schedule to fit it in before Halloween? Heck, would anyone be willing to let me pay you for your time and expertise helping from this point? I’d absolutely be willing to pay people for any assistance I can get at this point. I’m perfectly willing to do as much work as I can and not foist this all off on someone else since I know it’s a lot of work, but I know my skill set alone can’t get this done in time.

Calling @Kriskat30 :blankspace:

3 Likes

I’ll be at the space all week.

I’m planning on attending the Thursday tour thing this week, since pretty brand new to the space. Would meeting up then work? Or I can stop by any day really, but only after work. (~7pm)

That’s fine. I’ll be in creative arts :blush:

The gloves look a lot like hockey gloves. Sadly, hockey gloves are trés expensive.

Might be able to find hockey gloves cheaper on eBay.

1 Like

Or thrift stores, someone just bought some space suits in a thrift store
used on Shuttle missions, paid less than $2 for them

1 Like