Need CNC Router Operator for Cutting Plywood Bed

Hello,

Is there anyone who would be willing to cut out a plywood bed from two sheets of 4x8 plywood? My son’s birthday is coming up and I would like to make this bed for him:

But I am not skilled enough to cut it by hand and I don’t have access to a CNC machine. Is there anyone who might be able to have this cut for me?

Thanks!

Phill

To be clear: are you looking for help cutting an existing file/design, or help with the design process AND the cutout?

The latter calls for a much higher level of commitment.

If you don’t get any takers for the CNC and have measured drawings (but not necessarily a VCarve Design file), I’d be glad to help you cut it out using the table saw and band saw.

You’d probably need a saber saw (get new blades for DMS saw, just in case) and an appropriately-sized hole sale (likely NOT already at DMS, but cheap from Home Depot) to cut out the ladder rungs.

You would also need some 2x2 stock (perhaps) to reinforce the corner attachments and make the mattress support, screws/bolts, etc.

I am usually at the DMS from 7pm til midnight or later on Thursdays, and will be on 3/30. I could perhaps be available on another day, with notice (35 mile 1-way drive for me limits my visits).

3 Likes

Hi @Phill

Are you a member of the 'Space, and looking for someone to help you cut the wood because you have not been trained to use our CNC Router yet? Or are you looking to hire a member of Dallas Makerspace to help you with your project?

If you are a member, this post will be moved to the #woodshop category for better visibility by our members who follow the Woodshop category.

If you are not a member, and are looking to try to hire a member to help you out, then the post will need to be moved to the “Off Topic - Job Listings” category: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/c/off-topic/job-listings

Let us know!
Thanks!

1 Like

Hank,

I would just need someone to operate the CNC machine for me. The file is already designed so what I envision is buying the materials and bringing them up to whoever can help out. I’m not against cutting them by hand, but like you I’m far away from the DMS so CNC seems like it would be more time efficient.

Thanks,

Phill

1 Like

Lisa,

Yes, I would like to hire someone to use the router for me. I’m not a member and I just live too far away to justify it. Commercials sources are looking to charge alot just for one project so I’m hoping someone with the DMS can have a reasonable fee. Thanks, I’ll post in the Job Postings.

Phill

2 Likes

Hi @Phill,

Thanks for the clarification!

I had already moved this thread to the #off-topic:job-listings category earlier since you didn’t show up as a member. I asked for clarification because some members register for this forum with a different email address than they use for billing, and I wanted to be sure.

I see you created a new thread. Since the first message is the same as the first message on this thread, I am going to go ahead and merge the topics by moving the responses from the other thread to this one, then closing that one. That way all of the responses will be on the same thread and easier to keep track of.

Thanks again and happy birthday to your son. :slight_smile:

Hi, I sort of saw your other post. You said you already have the design file? To be clear, you have the design in VCarve or do you have the saved tool paths? I have access to the router. When do you need this done by? This weekend I’m out of town but I’m available part of the following weekend (afternoon and evening). If weeknights are better for you, we can try to work something out.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. The files are already available in VCarve. If possible, I was hoping to add my son’s name engraved on to it, but I would assume that would take additional modification of the files…I could live without it.

I need this done within the next week or two so I have time to assemble and finish it by mid April. If it turns out good, I might commission for another since I have a daughter who will be a toddler within the next year.

Are there materials available at DMS? Specifically 5/8" or 3/4" birch plywood? If so maybe it would be easier to have it commissioned then pay for the cost of everything together rather than me running the materials up there? Just let me know, I’m flexible.

Also, if I wanted to make modifications in a program like AutoCAD, would I be able to export it as a .dxf file so that VCarve can import it?

Ok, thanks!

Phill

1 Like

Oops, sorry about that! Thanks, Lisa!

1 Like

No worries! Thanks and have a great day!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, adding the name would need some modification in the file. I personally have never used VCarve to add text, but I think there’s a text tool in there. I can check later when I’m not at work.

People share scrap, but there are no materials as big as you need at DMS. You would need to get the plywood somewhere and bring it in.

Yes, VCarve can import .dxf. That would work fine. I love how versatile that program is!

Let me know if you have other questions. I won’t be able to check back until I get off work around 5:30.

Can I meet you at the DMS some time this week? I only have Tuesday and Wednesday night available this week. If that doesn’t work maybe Saturday? I’m assuming it won’t take very long to cut these files out. Let me know if any of those days work.

Have you thought of a fee for doing this? Will you take cash? Thanks!

Phill