Need approval to use Welders

I have a bit of experience welding and I now have a project that I need to weld a few small parts. Who do I talk to in order to get approved to use the equipment?
I need to have access by Saturday if possible

Thanks
David Stanton

You have to take our hot process safety class, however after that you can test out on a specific process with one of the instructors. This Saturday is a committee meeting for the metal shop, and we make a point to train people on the spot for at least one or two things if they come help volunteer (starts at noon and runs a few hours; we always host them on the first Saturday).

It looks like there is also a typical hot work safety class on this Sunday (Dec 8th).

-Jim

There’s also a TIG class shortly thereafter.

I won’t make any promises, but if we have time, I might do a show me you can weld and sign you off on the welders between the safety and the TIG class.

HI Jim

I signed up for the following

2pm DMS Hot Work Safety (Signed up)
3pm Hot Process Safety Class (This class was full but perhaps there might be a few no shows)
3:30pm TIG Welding Class - Steel (Signed up and Paid)

I will be there at NOON to volunteer and help where I can.

Where does everyone meet? In the Metal shop?

Thanks I will see you there on Saturday

David Stanton

1 Like

That’s on Saturday. We typically meet in the metal shop.

The 2PM Hot process safety and the TIG welding class are all you’ll need. The 3PM class is a duplicate of the 2PM class, so you don’t need both. We just created a second class because the first one filled up.

1 Like

can we get this on the calendar for better visibility of those that wish to attend?
edit: the committee meeting for metal shop

All of these classes are already on the calendar.

sorry, I was referring to the Metal Shop Committee Meeting. It’s probably too late to add for this month anyhow.

I had submitted it but I guess it still hasn’t hit the calendar yet

1 Like

And, in your defense, the wiki states the recurring time as noon on the first Saturday of every month.

:plasmacam_smiley:

3 Likes

While not meaning to be critical of how things are, I do have a mind that everything is capable of being improved, even if it’s not necessarily “broken”. With online DMS UX in mind, the Wiki is a good repository of information, however it is also not tailored toward good information presentation. When trying to present information, I think context is important. In this case, time/date is the focus so the Calendar is the first place a user might look to find that information. Members with more time at the space might know that the wiki is the first place to look because that’s how things are currently and they’ve learned to look there, but I would argue that this is an issue linked to new member retention as well. Having information organized and presented in an intuitive format seems like a worthy goal to reduce confusion and increase information access imo.

Feel free to break this off into another topic if you’d like as well, since this isn’t completely in line with the thread topic. I’d enjoy some back and forth on this as a mental exercise to how things can be improved.