Need advice from electrical engineer for a project

I’m trying to design a circuit that takes in a variable DC voltage between 14-32V DC and regulates it down to 12V DC @ 1.5A. I’m having trouble because I’ve tried using a L78S12CV regulator and while it almost does the job, when I get to 30-32V DC input some internal limiting kicks in and the output drops. I’ve also tried using LT3086’s but running into a similar problem. Can anyone recommend a different part or circuit design that will help me achieve what I’m trying to do?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’ve never enjoyed linear regulators for that exact reason, as you’re probably running against a thermal limiter. It just can’t get rid of the heat from the excess voltage.

I would look for a buck converter for something in the 1A+ range. If you want something heavier-duty , you can pick up something on amazon like a DROK which I’ve used to great success in automotive applications (protects from the 10-15V automotive normal). Otherwise there are a lot of smaller block devices you can easily incorporate into other designs.

2 Likes

Not a power expert, but Figure 9 is likely of interest for your application: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/l78s.pdf

For the 12V part (L78S12CV) at an input voltage of 30-32V, the ability for the device to output current is greatly reduced. In Figure 9, the drop-off appears to occur when Vin -
Vout > 16V. Note this characteristic / behavior of the device is not part of Table 8 which is likely the first place you checked to see if this would work for your application.

1 Like

I’m not an electrical engineer but…

The issue you’re having is because you’re using a linear power regulator. When you drop the voltage from X to 12, the device is going to dissipate (i.e., shed as heat) power calculated like this:

PowerIn = VoltageIn x CurrentIn

PowerOut = VoltageOut x CurrentOut

PowerDissipated = PowerIn - PowerOut

For purposes of figuring out dissipated power, you can call CurrentIn and CurrentOut equal, giving you:

PowerDissipated = (VoltageIn - VoltageOut) x Current

In your case, this results in:

PowerDissipated = (32 - 12) x 1.5 = 30 Watts. That is a TON of heat for such a tiny device to dump. You are probably triggering some thermal shutdown stuff inside the part.

A linear regulator isn’t the best part for this task. You want to be looking at DC/DC Converters like those made by Traco and similar. You want a switching regulator (as opposed to linear).

I’m sure folks more knowledgeable than I will chime in and offer more suggestions. One that comes to mind is slapping a high wattage resistor between the power source and the input to the 7812. But you have a pretty high input voltage range so that might hurt you on the low end and/or not fix things on the high end.

2 Likes

tanners has a 3 amp variable buck for $5 and a 6 amp for $15. Can’t remember the upper input range exactly but it’s somewhere around there

3 Likes

This

http://www.ti.com/tool/PMP10698