Need advice for how to finish a piece with the bark still on it

I was curious if anyone has any experience taking a whole slice of wood and finishing the whole thing as is, bark and all. Usually I just use oil/wax but that wont do anything for the bark which would just crumble off with my usual methods. Any ideas?

This is pretty common…Live Edge, it’s called. Google search on relevant terms:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=finishing+live+edge+slabs

Just know, which I think you suspect, but bark will fall off eventually. Done properly, it might be a long time before that happens, but it will happen. It’s like concrete, there are two types. Concrete that has cracked, and concrete that is going to crack.

I’ve had good luck with live edge bowls just using Watco (“danish oil” with additives). You could probably spray the bark with a $2.00 hand-pump sprayer…@mkart ? Matt- care to help us with your experience?

I often dab the bark with oil then dab off what doesn’t soak in. Works well on bowls and tables. I use a slow drying oil so it mostly soaks into the bark. I use the Maloof finish a lot for this. Just don’t leave pooled finish to dry and gum up. Also ensure the slab is dry since wet wood doesn’t finish well.

2 Likes

Also loose bark should be removed or secured with glue. Otherwise it’s coming off soon anyway.

I’d try multiple coats of lindseed oil, followed by a final coat cut 1:1 with teak oil. Do not reverse. If memory recalls, once the teak oil is dry, it tends to not absorb anything else.

The live edge bowls I turned in 2001 still have the bark on. Most was mesquite - such awesome wood - so mileage may vary.

There is a also a saying about when the wood was harvested as to whether bark stays on or not. I forget the seasons.

I finished mine with Tung Oil.

Curious note - Some people do not like buy live edge because they worry about dusting them. I suggest compressed air as an answer.