Need advice cutting angle iron at 45 degrees

I have a few pieces of 1.5" x 1.5" angle iron, about 65" long that I am needing to cut at 45 degree angles to use for a coffee table frame. What is the best tool to use for this, and is there any useful tooling/fixturing in the shop that would help accomodate the long length?

Cold Cut Saw. Get with me sometime and I’ll teach you how to use.

4 Likes

Cool, sounds good. Are you by chance going to be at the space any this evening?

What time? Should be here until 6:30 or so.

I’ll be there between 5:30 and 6. That saw is in the room with the plasma cam, correct?

No. The cold-cut saw is in the Machine Shop.

3 Likes

cold saw just LOVES cutting steel. even at angles.

1 Like

As mentioned, the cold cut saw will work very well. But if you can’t get trained in time or the saw is in use or it’s down, there are other methods in Metal that you could use too. First the horizontal band saw, second, the abrasive chop saw, and if you want to try the hand-held method, you can scribe a 45 on your angle and hand cut it with an angle grinder or if adventurous the plasma cutter.

Me personally, I would do it with scribing and angle grinder. Remember, for a 45 angle, you only need to cut one wing of the angle iron on each piece you are welding.

1 Like

I trained two members tonight on Cold Cut Saw.

Thank you all for the advice! I was able to get with David last night to learn the cold saw. It is indeed what I was needing for this project

3 Likes

David, thanks for the training! Great information and very nice cuts from the cold saw.

Remember after you do a couple projects … you are now instructor also!

Good luck with your projects. This is a great tool for very specific tasks but it is great at what it does.

1 Like