Need a walnut slab

I mostly make live edge furniture, console tables, sofa tables, coffee tables, desks, etc…

I have an order from a customer and don’t have a dry slab on hand that will work. I’m needing something 12-15" wide, 2" thick, and 7+ feet long. My local suppliers are dry up. I can drive to OKC to buy one, but I don’t know the next time I have a free Saturday to make the drive. Just wondering if anyone knows of a local supplier that won’t charge $20 a bd ft for a slab that will work for me.

TIA

1 Like

I don’t know if he has any, but McKinney Hardwoods may have something. I bought a 7’x28"x2" board from him once. It wasn’t live edge, however. If he doesn’t have one he may know someone who does. He’s a very nice guy. http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/

4 Likes

Have you tried Wood World near TI on Central Expressway in Richardson? Not a huge selection but they have some big pieces and slabs and other live edge pieces.

2 Likes

@jeffbob It was suggested you may have a line on some slabs or possibly even an extra slab. Happy to pay up for it.

1 Like

What size are you looking for? I need three dimensions.
I have mesquite but not Walnut but might be able to send you in the right direction.

Jeff Whitcomb

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

2" thick, approximately 14" wide, 7’ long or longer. Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

Dallas Hardwoods off Goodnight Lane in Dallas. About ten minutes from Makerspace, off Walnut Hill and 35.
Woods of Mission Timber in Sanger 940-458-4750, hit extension 3. That will be Jim. Tell him Jeff the mesquite guy sent ya.
Call John Loftis at Lone Star Artisans. He is the ex president of North Texas Woodworkers Association and buys a lot of walnut.
Tell him Jeff Whitcomb sent you in his direction. Tell him you just need a good source for Walnut.

John will probably have the best vendor for you. The other two are more retail outlets.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

5 Likes

Thank you Jeff. So far Woodcraft, Woodworld, and Hardwood lumber all have a slab or two, but all way too large for this project. I left a VM with the Sanger sawmill and sent an email to John with Lone Star Artisans.
Hopefully something works out and I can avoid taking a 1/2 day of PTO and driving to OKC.

2 Likes

I will email my personal sawmill guy out in Quinlan and see what he has.
What size did you need again? Also, is Walnut the only wood you would utilize?
Whom ever you get one from, at a larger size, you will have to get more and trim to your need.
I had to cut a $300 dollar piece of mesquite yesterday to get 4 legs 30" x 7" by 6/4.
It almost made me cry but I have a commission and its all mesquite.

Jeff Whitcomb

[email protected]

Thank you very much Jeff. This client definitely wants walnut, and I need a live edge slab, only need one edge live edge actually. 2" thick, 7’ long, 12" minimum width. If your sawmill guy has anything I will be very happy! Thanks for your help! I owe you a beer.

I just emailed him. If he has one he will shoot me a cost.
I am going out there this weekend to harvest and he lives ten minutes from there.

Jeff Whitcomb

[email protected]

1 Like

Amazing! Thank you Jeff! Hopefully he has something in stock.

What is your regular email? My guy in Quinlan has a beauty at a great price.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
[email protected]

George has a piece 2 1/2 thick by 16 by 98.
He can the length for you. It has one live edge.
$163.00 plus applicable tax, of course.
I could pick up this weekend.

You will never find a piece that large for that price anywhere else, I can assure you.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
[email protected]

1 Like