Need a motorcycle mechanic

Hello all. I need a motorcycle mechanic. I have a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan EN 500C that I am unable to get running. It is down to carb issues and fuel getting into the oil pan. Can someone message me directly if you know someone that works on motorcycles?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Have you checked the basic things like :
Is there crap in the fuel tank from sitting / rust ?
Are you getting clean fuel to the carbs?
is the float in each carb floating?
Is the needle valve stuck ? (needle valve is related to the float mentioned above)
I’d check these first given that you know it is a fuel issue and have good spark.

P.S. I am not a motorcycle guy - haven’t had one in 25 years and don’t miss the 2 cyl boxer…well mostly don’t miss it.

3 Likes

Hey TLAR. Thanks for responding!
Yes I have done each and every item on the list you mentioned. I finished reconditioning the bike from top to bottom. Its now out of my hands. I want to be able to turn it over to a competent mechanic that can fix the problem. Its probably something simple, but I can’t find it.
So if you know any mechanics, please send me their contact info.

Thanks again!!!

John,

What exactly have you done to the carbs - if you don’t mind ?

1 Like

I bought a rebuild kit for the carbs and rebuild them.

1 Like

Do you mean you took them apart and used the kits to assemble them? How did you clean them?

If fuel is getting into your oil pan, then the float could be stuck open, filling the cylinders, and leaking into the crankcase.

Check your float height. Also did you stagger the oil rings on the pistons?

1 Like

Did not stagger the oil rings. Don’t know what that means. The float being
stuck open sounds like the problem. I will get the carb pulled out and
taken to a mechanic to have them look it over.
Thanks!

John Horne
Cell:979-877-8770

When installing the rings on the pistons, the gap on each ring should be installed 180 degrees from the previous one. This way, any gasses that leak through the gap have to go around the long way to the next gap.

1 Like

On the piston there are several rings, top, oil, … if they’re all lined up then you will not get proper compression and allow gas to leak into the crank case

http://www.deves.com/oilring_inst.php

Look at the image below, you’ll see that the ring openings are facing different directions

Did not overhaul the engine proper. So those are still in the correct
position. It was running well when it was put away 4 years ago.
The carb float being stuck open makes more sense here. I will get the carb
taken in to a mechanic that can get it properly serviced.

Thanks so much for you input Kevin and George. That helped a lot to get me
on the right track.

John Horne

I misunderstood what you meant by reconditioning.

Right. Sorry. Replaced all fluids. Replaced chain. Serviced tires. New
spark plugs. New air filter. New oil and filter. Cleaned and polished.

John Horne

this guy does a pretty decent job of showing the parts and functions of these carbs, if you’re interested (I think you should be, at least to be conversant with your repair person, even if you choose to let someone else get their hands dirty).

1 Like

Andrew,

thanks a lot! I am watching it right now.

Makerspace is such an amazing community!!! I don’t know anywhere else that
I could get this level of help and understanding from a group of like
minded individuals!

thanks to all of you for your input about this carb issue!

John Horne

2 Likes

For small carb rebuilds an gallon container of Berrymans Chem Dip is the way to go - to get the passages cleaned out that you cannot see or reach. Your local Audi guy has a 5 gallon container of it in his garage.
Nasty stuff - but it works! ( I can almost hear the tree huggers weeping in the distance )

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful sound.

1 Like

I bet you have varnish or oxidation from the Ethanol in the carb at a bare minimum.

one trick if you’re looking for a slow oil leak is to cover the entire outside of the engine case in baby powder and run it. if your engine shell has a pinhole sized hole you will see it.