Need a metal part

Hello. I’ve never really worked with metal before but need a metal piece from an expired patent for a product I’m working on. How would I go about making/acquiring this item, presumably made of aluminum, and does Makerspace have the equipment and education available to make/learn how to make it? It doesn’t have to be exact, but must provide the same function in roughly the same size. It’s a “cricket spring” or “pop spring” or “pop o matic” found in the Trouble game.

Thank you.

Suspect it is made of spring steel, would suggest using this.

1 Like

Hey David,

Should be able to fabricate something like that without too much difficulty. The tricky part would be the depressed bulge in the middle, but you could make a form here that could stretch it out a little.

The bending can be done on the box-pan brake and cutting we have a number of tools for.

Cheers,
~Tails

P.s: when you aren’t sure what category, just make one post. Moderators such as myself can move it around to where it needs to go

1 Like

Why not start with an existing pop-o-matic from the game trouble and work backwards.

1 Like

Work backwards how?

The device in the patent is still being produced or is available second hand in a thrift store.

The game “Trouble” has the device in it.

Hasbro still makes the game.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1725767/trouble-game-by-hasbro.jsp?skuid=95207695&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=PRESCHOOL%20TOYS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing&CID=shopping20&utm_campaignid=380493002&utm_adgroupid=1239149811602205&msclkid=1757674a1d7717039a9307f0941bb1d0&gclid=1757674a1d7717039a9307f0941bb1d0&gclsrc=3p.ds

Pick one up. and delicately remove it from the game board. Once you do that, you can see how it works.

Credit to Photomancer : Pull it apart to measure the thickness of the metal. Etc.

1 Like
  • Metal Thickness
  • Dimensions: all the various ones for all features
  • Maybe even type of metal, even if just general type.
1 Like

Ty for the suggestions! How would I go about learning how to make a form, cutting and using the brake? I have an idea of how the brake works, but I’m generally new to this.

We have a slide deck on the network share that goes over the basics. It’s pretty intuitive, you mainly have to watch for the pinch points. For the size of the part the smaller brake and shear in the machine shop is likely better suited.

There are plenty of YouTube videos that go over the basic tutorial of making a box pan

1 Like

Where do I find the network share?

I watched a YouTube video in which a guy made upper and lower forming dies using an ordinary filament 3D printer. He formed sheet metal pieces that were maybe 4” x 6” and between 18 and 22 gauge mild steel, aluminum, and stainless steel. The dies were used in an inexpensive hydraulic shop press. I agree that the dimple is the hard part and it’s also the heart of the design. Your part is probably a lot thinner, but also harder and therefore resistant to being formed. If you want production parts you need precision metal dies, if you just want a prototype, taking a game apart sounds like a great plan.

@Chris_Wischkowsky has done that technique, seemed to work for him.