Need a mechanic recommendation for timing belt change

Need to do some preventative maintenance. I need a timing belt and a transmission fluid flush for a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I’m in the Addison area right off DNT and Arapaho. Any suggestions? I was quoted $1100 at a place nearby.

We had some work done on our Mazdas at Resh’s Bass Auto repair at Park and 75 in Plano. Good work at a fair price. Their phone: (972) 234-1299

Honestly, buy parts and we can get you sorted out at the makerspace. Any interest in that?

You did not say how many miles you have on it.

A web search indicates that a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse likely has what is known as an interference engine. Meaning that if the timing belt broke, it is Mr. Piston, meet Mr. Valve time with unhappy results. Most manufacturers recommend that the belt be changed every 60 thousand miles.

I went well over the first time with my Toyota, not knowing any better. The mechanic told me I was extremely lucky. Even though it was not an interference engine, I might have been stranded at a place and time not of my choosing.

As for the transmission, There are reports that a transmission flush may damage aged seals on an older car. Definitely change the fluid and filter every 30 thousand miles or so, but it is best to not do the flush unless you have reason to believe you need it.

For sure that’s actually more ideal. I’d love to learn. My only concern is I’m about 450 miles over the recommended mileage right now so I’m not sure how much longer I should really drive it. Parts would take a little while to come in.

Yeah, interference engine. Owner’s manual says change it at 105k which I’m at 105,453 right now.

I’ve heard that about the flush. I’ve been going back and forth on it. You think I should just do a fluid change instead?

Fluid and filter.