Need a Mechanic for a project car,

Hey Guys, I need a mechanic to help me with an on-going project car.

I’m in a situation where I need to get this thing finished in the next month. I’m at the stage where the transmission, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, and rear main seal have been removed, and I just need help installing it back in.

Willing to negotiate a price for the help.

Car is 1985 Porsche 944/1 N/A

2 Likes

@TLAR might be available.

1 Like

For liability reasons, our automotive rules prohibit doing automotive work in exchange for money or other services (i.e, we’re not a commercial garage).

But having said that, you might be able to find someone willing to help you for free, or willing to work off-premises for a fee.

1 Like

Is log rolling an option?

I see sorry about that.
Well it definitely would be off-premises. If anyone wants to help and talk offline, that would be highly appreciated.

I understand the liability implications and understand that neither the makerspace nor the mechanic will be held liable for any issues/problems that may arise.

1 Like

Frankhu,

The “book time” on a clutch on that model is 12 hours using a lift and real tools (pneumatic tools etc) and the related triple square drives, flex sockets, and 5mm hex you’ll need for the reference sensors at the bell housing (hopefully you removed them beforehand and didn’t break them off).

Where is the car located?
Do you have photos of the work area where the car work is to be done in?

1 Like

Hey, so all the items have been removed and I just need to install them. I have the triple square drives, I don’t know if I have the flex sockets and the 5mm hex, I already have new reference sensors for the 944.

Here’s pics of where the car is. It’s currently on Jack Stands https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ydxmej50H4aTZTgDy1XO_O8yKUxS_XG7?usp=sharing

And the location of the car is in Irving.

1 Like

WOW ! That is one sad looking 944!

Just curious but what is your “plan” for the 944 basket case?

Are you installing a new clutch? I see the original 3 lug disc,. in your photos.

Any idea when it was taken apart? It looks like it has been apart for a awhile.

I’d be inclined to lend a hand if you had it on the lift at the Makerspace - but my days of crawling on the ground under someone’s car are over.

2 Likes

lol… I’m glad you think it looks good…

Well I picked it up mainly as a project car to learn and improve my mechanic skills.

The plan was to get it running and then find a body shop who will be able to give it a new paint job and make it look a bit better.

I have a new clutch and throwout bearing.
It was taken apart a while ago. I bought it off of someone for 300$ cause they just wanted to just get rid of it.

I’ve dedicated alot of time to this thing learning all the intricacies and I’m very dedicated to get this thing running and restored. But if you think this thing should just be sold for whatever I can get for it please let me know, as maybe it’s time for me to cut my 944 restoration dream losses while I can…

If anyone has a truck and auto transport, I’m willing to pay to bring it to the makerspace and if you could help that would be greatly appreciated. If not to finish, atleast to install the clutch/pressureplate/bell housing and starter. And see if it’ll atleast run. lol…

Note: The reason I’m asking for help is because I had recently gotten a new position and will have to move in about two months. And I feel like with the help of a real mechanic I might be able to repair the car in a more timely manner. And I am very inclined to see this project through.

1 Like

This car is not your “Traditional car” (well it wasn’t in 1985)…engine and clutch in the front, transmission in the rear, torque tube that connects them (no driveshaft/no U joints)…

What parts did you get in your clutch kit?
Doing the timing belt and balance shaft belts correctly with both belts, idlers, tensioners, seals, water pump and races.can me pricey.
What is the condition of the flywheel?
The end of your crankshaft has obvious corrosion - not good for an oil seal but not the end of the world either.
Any idea how many miles are on the engine / body?
When it was last on the road?
Do you know if you have all of the hardware for it?
It is much easier to do a clutch on these models if you drop the exhaust from the downpipes.

1 Like

I have my responses inline below:
This car is not your “Traditional car” (well it wasn’t in 1985)…engine and clutch in the front, transmission in the rear, torque tube that connects them (no driveshaft/no U joints)…
Well, I saw the 944 and I thought it was a beautiful car, so I figured if I was gonna learn on something, it might as well be as beautiful as the 944 :slight_smile:

What parts did you get in your clutch kit?
Clutch, Clutch hardware, clutch installation tool, pressure plate. It came with the car, the only thing I bought was the clutch hardware kit from only944.

Doing the timing belt and balance shaft belts correctly with both belts, idlers, tensioners, seals, water pump and races.can me pricey.
I wasn’t thinking about doing this yet, but knew this was important. The entire kit for the water pump/timing belt kit would be 250$.https://944online.com/index.php/water-cooling-system-92/new-944-water-pump-kit-83-88-2-5-stage-2.html

Or I guess 450 for the stage 3 complete replacement kit : https://944online.com/index.php/water-cooling-system-92/new-944-water-pump-kit-83-88-2-5-stage-3.html

What is the condition of the flywheel?
Didn’t come with one, I bought a resurfaced one on ebay.

The end of your crankshaft has obvious corrosion - not good for an oil seal but not the end of the world either.
Any idea how many miles are on the engine / body?
When it was last on the road?
it says 40,000 (it only has 5 numbers in the odometer), there was only one owner that drove it. The carfax says the last event was a duplicated title in 97.

Do you know if you have all of the hardware for it?
Unfortunately, I don’t know if I have all the transmission hardware, but I do have the hardware for the clutch/bell housing and connecting the torque tube to the bell housing. That was an issue that I needed to face, and am very open to suggestions on this. there’s a bunch of hardware in the trunk of the car but it’s like under the transmission. So I should have alot of the transmission hardware, but I don’t really know.

It is much easier to do a clutch on these models if you drop the exhaust from the downpipes.
I was considering that, but access to the bell housing area seems fine without the exhaust removed.

1 Like