Need a few volunteers to put together IKEA furniture

March 23rd somewhere between 5-9p we are getting a delivery of two large IKEA tables. We need probably 3-4 people to put them together as they will be bulky but I don’t believe hard to put together. I won’t be able to come to makerspace that night because I have my son.

Excited about the additional stations. One will be a dedicated sewing space (clean). They will be butted up against the long “empty” wall.

Anyone interested in volunteering?

2 Likes

1 Like

My husband and I can help that night, but we can’t get there until appx 8pm.

I’m not sure if you need it done exactly by 9pm. If you don’t, we will gladly volunteer!

3 Likes

I just have a delivery window of 5-9p so I’m not sure when the furniture will arrive. I figure 6:30 is a good attempt. Thank you for volunteering! Stick your head in the room and see if you see anything.

Here is a link to IKEA tracking: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/customer-service/track-my-order/
the order number is 247244795

2 Likes

I’ll probably be there anyway since it’s tour night.

2 Likes

I can’t make it but don’t be afraid to use a cordless drill on the lowest clutch setting (and appropriate driver, of course) to put in the fasteners. Hand-tighten to finish. I haven’t boogered up any Ikea furniture doing that, and for clumsy me, that’s saying something. And the allen-keys they typically come with are for crap.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @uglyknees!
Awesome! @missydee1206, that would be great if you were there when it is delivered! When we get there, I’ll come to the CA room to see if it’s there. I’ll check TALK and the tracking page on my way there to see if it’s been delivered yet.

Thanks for the tip on using a cordless drill @jwilson75503 - are there cordless drills at the space or should I bring one?

2 Likes

There should be several green Ryobi in the workshop, on the slat shelves by the woodworking annex. With any luck a charged battery pack will also be available in the same place…

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

A suggestion don t butt the sewing desk up to the wall
Leave 3-4 inched between in and the wall so if you are working
with a long piece of fabric or something like a cloak it can drape
off the back of the table. That making sewing it a lot easier

4 Likes

I can help on Friday. I’m sure as long as it’s done in 2 days, the world will be a safer, happier place.

Great to see all the positive energy at the Space.

2 Likes

One more suggestion (or some would call it kvetching) - spread a blanket on the floor before laying out the pieces. Even on carpet I have scratched up Ikea stuff assembling it because, well, the carpet isn’t quite as clean as I thought…

3 Likes

Thank you for reminding me of this, I have done the exact same thing on several pieces of IKEA furniture! You’re the bomb @jswilson64! (Yes, I grew up in the 90s :slight_smile:)

I will be up there shortly and would like to help.

2 Likes

Based on the tracker it says it’s out for delivery…so here’s hoping we will soon have a good pile of flat furniture delivered. I’m setting up for a special needs prom at school today and tomorrow so I’m out. Good luck and goddess speed to you all. Excited to see this hoppin.

When I try to track it, it needs your email, postcode or surname. Can you provide one of these so I can track it also? Thanks!

I am up here now and since the laser I needed is down I will have time to assist if needed.

2 Likes

I got out of work late so I may not be there until 8:30ish. Will someone post on here once it’s delivered? I love putting stuff together and don’t wanna miss out. Lol

2 Likes

I am on stakeout in the front room - no delivery guy yet…

3 Likes

i am here at the rear no delivery here either.

7:18 and all is well…

2 Likes