Need a 350 motor for a 90 suburban

Hi all,

I had reached out to the group a few weeks ago about a transmission for a 90 burb. The concensus was not to buy something off craigslist but instead purchase something in the 1600 range. Called around and found a shop that would do it for that price and had it towed in.

When they looked at it, looks like the transmission was not the only issue but also a lower end knock. SO now I also need a motor. Anybody can recommend a reman/new GM 350 motor at a descent price?

2 Likes

Define decent. GM sells 350s starting at ~$2k for truck applications, a la:

and

1 Like

George,

Before you opt for “mail order” from Summit / Amazon(neither or similar, I’d suggest you look for a local shop that actually offers engines that they rebuild in house.

Just my two cents.

This is an a plug for Alan Wan - he recommends City Motor Supply in Dallas.
http://www.citymotorsupply.com/

There are others of course - but I do not know of any in particular.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, in the case of small block Chevrolet engines, I only recommend going with legit Chevrolet Performance assemblies, since they’re built to GM’s actual spec, using all new parts, including block, head, and crank. I’m wary of local shop rebuilds, since I’ve dealt mostly with shops like JIS Engine, whose rebuilds bring nothing but heartache.

But if Allen says a shop is legit, it probably is. Could be worth talking to them if they offer a better or cheaper product than Chevrolet Performance, for sure.

1 Like

Kris,

I would agree if in fact say the “summit” rebuilt engines came from somewhere that had a traceable paper trail, and were not a 900 pound shipment.

Summit, Jegs, etc are all re-sellers not the re-builders - they are just the call center folks. Many of the GM/ Chevy rebuilt 350 V8’s are being "reman’d in Mexico to “factory specs” but don’t receive fantastic reviews after the sale.

Given the choice - I would opt for local / or local-ish reputable mom & pop engine shop. Finding the ideal one takes patience and time - often a commodity the vehicle owner doesn’t have.

If an engine is built using all new parts is it a rebuilt or is it new? (that is material for a separate thread)

1 Like

Went with Allen the first time he went. Was impressive and seemed very reasonably priced. And near by so no shipped charges (free is in the price)

2 Likes

The engines I linked are all-new, including new block, head, and crank castings, manufactured by GM. I’m with you on shady crate rebuilds shipped from afar, but I’d stake money on a Chevrolet Performance engine, since they’re still in the business of doing new production of old engines. (Or, I would, if I were into GM products at all. Mopar or no car)

As for new vs rebuilt, if the block isn’t a fresh casting, the engine is rebuilt, no two ways about it. Which is why I specifically count those two engines from above as New.

1 Like

Stay away from city motor supply they weld cracked blocks back together and sell them out without telling you. I have had no less than ten customers over the years with a blown “new” engine from city motor supply that when examined by my machine shop came up with welded cracks. For about $1600 (just like with the transmission) you can go to O’Reilly and buy a powertorque reman engine with a great warranty. I have used them for 10 plus years with no issues. Put one in a 90 suburban 3 years ago and it’s still going strong.

I have to agree here, I took a 383 small block to City Motor Supply and they pulled my Keith Black pistons and put in their “performance” pistons. One of the pistons cratered after 250 miles.

I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

1 Like

I guess I will count my lucky stars on City Motor. I have had a few motors from them without issues.

1 Like

here’s where I’m at, I found a dealer that will sell a new engine for 1800 shipped.

I think that’s the right way to fix this.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-NEW-CHEVROLET-Truck-ENGINE-12568758-Goodwrench-350-DEALER-direct-CALL-US/302083419849

Yeah, it’s off fleabay but checked them out and they look legit and will have a 3 year warranty.

Before I put that noose around my neck, what’s everyone’s thoughts?

1 Like

Hey Tom,

Since the block is used and the heads probably rebuilt, the correct term would be remanufactured.

New is all new including block and heads

Rebuilt is using the old parts and new seals and gaskets.

1 Like

George,

There is nothing wrong with Ebay - it is a great marketplace.
New from from the manufacturer is great as well + stock.

How is any warranty issue handled? (fingers crossed you won’t need to find out).

Just curious, but do they say where the engine is made and what countries the components are sourced from?

1 Like

I can look into where the engine was made.

It’s a GM Goodwrench engine so ANY dealer SHOULD warranty it for 3 years.

1 Like

That is what you NEED to VERIFY.

Too often folks will travel out of town to get a “deal” on a truck etc only to find their local franchised “chevy/ford/dodge” dealer’s service dept won’t do the warranty work because they didn’t sell the vehicle. (Warranty work doesn’t pay the dealership or the technician same as retail service work)

Do all service departments act this way? No but this is just a word of caution-not intended to start an argument.

2 Likes

This is why I love you guys!!!

This was the original response from the seller.

“The warranty will depend on what vehicle you are putting it in. Yes we are a dealer. If something were to happen to the engine you can take it to any GM dealer in the country to have warranty work done.
Thank you
Radley parts”

I asked for a copy of the warranty and where it was manufactured.

2 Likes

Seller says various countries including Canada, Mexico and China.

I guess I want them in that order

2 Likes

Ok. It’s made in Mexico with parts from Canada, mexico and china.

warrenty card is the standard GM one

Good to go???

Thanks all!

2 Likes