Necessary steps to teach a class?

I have learned a lot about mold making/ resin casting the past few years, and I think it would be fun to teach a hands-on introduction course. It could be possible to both make the mold and then pour castings if fast-setting materials like Mold Star 16 and Smooth Cast 325 are used. ~2hrs, lecture while the material is curing, etc.

Is it difficult to set something like this up? I’m not a current member and I assume there would need to be a small fee, to cover the cost of materials.

If you’re not a current member, then a member has to “sponsor” the class. There would definitely need to be a fee for materials. We’ve had a couple of life-casting classes recently…

Hey, I have been teaching mold making classes. I charge for approximate cost of materials. Ends up being $25 for life casting with Body Double and plaster bandages, casting with Hydrocal. For the silicone/resin class I already had some I bought in bulk so $15 a person covered it, but I would say $20 a person will safely cover a the materials for a small mold in trial sizes. If you haven’t already been to Reynold’s Advanced Materials that’s the place I always buy my materials, as it is right up the road. If you wanna become a member, you could very easily cover your membership fee teaching 1-2 classes a month. There seems to be a lot of demand for this kind of thing, and if you have good experience I would love to glean any lessons you have learned along the way.

Hanna, you’re the perfect person to talk to! Already some good info, glad to hear there’s demand for these kinds of classes. Also Reynold’s is my go-to, love that place. I’m already buying at the gallon-kit scale, so I was thinking I could bring in some squeeze bottles full of material and dispense portions to students.

A few quick questions:

1. Is there a pressure pot/ compressor available at the space? I can bring my own, but it’s easier if there’s equipment already on site.
  2. Who did you talk to about making your courses happen? I assume I have to get some kind of approval, whether it’s for handling money, reserve a space, etc.

Yeah we have 3 pressure pots, a couple vacuum chambers as well. You’ll just need to do a quick rundown with someone to get cleared on them, though I’m sure you know what you’re doing. If you already own the materials, just have students bring the amount in cash. That’s the easiest. As for reserving space, you just do that through the calendar. No need for approval. You’ll need a W9 on file to get your honorarium check, and you gotta be a member. Other than that, you’re good to go

1 Like

Thanks for all the info. I didn’t know about the honorarium, that’s great for offsetting membership costs!

Regarding the pressure pots:

1. How do I arrange a training session with someone? Is there usually a long wait to get trained?
  2. Once I get that training, am I qualified to teach everyone in the class how to use the equipment?

Generally, the chair of the particular department is in charge of certifications and instructions within their field. They’re concerned with damage to their equipment and proper safety training.

But I’m not sure who this would be for this kind of activity.

Resin/Casting and pressure pots are Creative Arts, if I am not mistaken, and that would be @dryad2b.
Just dropping this in here, in case it helps once this is further along, or if someone else pops in here looking for similar advise:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Class_FAQs
These mostly presume the instructor is a Member, but the info will still be helpful to a non-member instructor and their sponsor.

2 Likes

I can do it for you. When works for you? I’m up there several times a week. And yes after that you can show people how to safely use the equipment.

Great! I’ll send you a message to coordinate a time.