My Nephew's First Project Car

I’m partial to the 5M-GE. Got over 250K on mine before it was totalled by a drunk driver.

1 Like

My vehicle has AWD with posi-traction with limited slip differentials, told not to use donuts, can cause damage because things will be fighting each other. Not sure if true, have big old spare on back.

1 Like

This is a great list- thank you guys. I did not check the spare situation mainly because (assuming we were going to upgrade wheels and tires, I would take the best of the old wheels and tires to become the spare. But good catch, if we don’t do the wheels and tires due to the budget, we will need to address the spare.

I never considered the rhino liner or wrap in lieu of paint. Do those tend to be less expensive than paint? He wants to go flat grey with black wheels/tires- (Kids…). No reason a wrap would not work for that I would think.

Tim

1 Like

Liner is much cheaper than paint. You don’t have to worry as much about dings. They sell tintable liner, in my opinion would be easier to get results in a flat color. My understanding is that standard paint you have to add a flattening agent to it. There is a good chance if you put it on too thick it will still be glossy. Last check I did on liner was for raptor liner at about 125$ a gallon. Call English Color to ask them the current pricing.

3 Likes

You can order replacement tires from Tire Rack so I’m sure other stores will have replacements.

It would be a good idea to check yours for dry rot/cracking.

1 Like

I will bring the stereo into DMS on Sunday at 10am and will be there for most of the afternoon. If that doesn’t work, I can drop it off after work at DMS sometime next week.

(edit: I got the start time wrong. I’ll be there from 10am until the afternoon. Radio is a Sony CDX-GT200, no warranty – we can try it in the lab to see if it powers up)

(edit 2: was able to power up the radio on my bench, but did not check audio output. Wiring diagram is here)

2 Likes

Audiophile here, I can wire the whole thing if this project is still ongoing for the stereo.

1 Like

There are now “mechless” head units, to go along with the android head unit suggestion. These are radios with “No cd drive mechanism”, so just radio, Bluetooth and aux, so he can simply use his phone like all the other cool kids. I’ve seen them for $40 at wal-mart.

There are speakers across the street at Tanner electronics. They’re not exactly car speakers, but they seem to be of good quality and best of all, they’re very affordable. I think something could be done with them.

2 Likes

So crazy question- I have some Klipsch home theater speakers that were fairly expensive when I put them in my attic. Would they work? I assume the cones might have deteriorated, but thought I would ask.

Does it make sense to have subwoofer? amp? I planned on building a box to hold the speakers at the makerspace.

By the way- thank you very much for the offer to “wire the whole thing”, but I really want my nephew to understand how it works (and me for that matter). We plan on doing a lot of work over the week of 5/22- 5/26 (Mostly the mechanical and basic maintenance stuff). My goal was to gather up everything we need to maximize our time together. If you planned on being at DMS during that week, we can coordinate so you can give him some guidance. I really appreciate your help.

Tim

Car speakers are usually 4 ohm beasties, while home audio speakers are 8 ohm. The volume will be much lower when trying to drive the home audio speakers.

I have both which I would be willing to part with. Let me see what model the amp is and we might make a deal for a 6 pack of my favorite beer. :slight_smile:

Usually it is the suspension that dies faster than the cone, especially in heat, either falling apart, or going stiff. If it goes stiff, trying to drive too rigid a speaker causes damage to the cone, or the attachment to the voice coil.

Tim,
If you like - I can meet you at the space and together we can work out a list of mechanical parts to get things going. With the use of one of the computers in the common room - we can search my wholesale parts account (in the event you want to pick up the parts locally) and also do a price comparison to Rock Auto and Advance Speed Perks.
I won’t be at the space this weekend tho

1 Like

Dude- that’s worth a 12 pack

TLAR- just let me know when you are available and I will meet you. Thank you

Be careful on that point: I don’t drink Budweiser. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about either this thurs or next thrus around 730pm (1930hrs for the rest of the world)

If you bring beer :
Franziskaner(after car work-never during)

Seconded, however, I prefer Dunkelweizen over Hefeweizen. :wink:

I’ll find it, but a good Texas beer isn’t good enough for you guys?:grinning:

1 Like

I’d settle for Blue Moon