My Nephew's First Project Car

Ok- I don’t work on any cars younger than 60 years old (kinda like the girls I date…:slight_smile: ). I have a 1950 Ford F-1 pickup that I am not afraid of doing anything to. Anyway my nephew just turned 16. My pops gave him his old 1990 pick-up. Little 4 banger, nothing special. I told my sister he could stay with me and we could stretch the $1500 he has to put into the vehicle by doing some of the stuff ourself at the makerspace. After he picked out some $1200 wheels I explained he needed to reset expectations and give me some idea of what he would want to prioritize. You know instead of buying the brand new leather seats, we are ripping some out of a 1992 celica and buying seat covers until he has the money to re-cover them. So here is his list of priorities:

Tune-up/couple of mechanical items (I added this first ($100))
Paint (won’t do at DMS) ($700)
Seats ($200)
New Dash (pick-a-part in Belton has one) ($100)
Stereo (???)
Speakers (???)
Rims (???)
Tires (???)

So I think I have all of this covered except the stereo- My truck doesn’t have one, not much of a stereophile. I can build the box, etc… but don’t know the first thing about wiring it, placement, selection, value for the money, etc… Is there someone who could help us out (I am sure we can work out some suitable compensation), in return for guiding us through the stereo side of this project. He is not going to have much to put into a stereo and speakers (appr $300), but figured if we did it our selves we could stretch the value.

Any ideas? thank you in advance.

Tim

Hmm…
I’m not sure this is helpful, but here’s what I would WANT my 16 year old protege to want:
1990 means it’s emissions exempt. Chevy 350s are a dime a dozen. Overhuals ain’t much either. Nor trannys that’ll work with them. Even carbs are pretty cheap.
Forget the paint.
Tires ARE important!
So, to sum up:
stereo should be a thrumming, straight-piped v8
Transmissions aren’t that much $$
Tires are important.
Chicks dig scars.

I think that covers it…
Oh, and in Texas, my…over 16 years old self would LOVE air conditioning, but the reality was, in Texas, my 16 year old self survived without it just fine…

Was any of that helpful?
:angel:

EDIT: for more sincerity.
I know nothing of stereo equipment these days either. Rockford Fosgate and Kicker were the pinnacle of “what the kids are doing these days” when those days were mine. This was shortly after the Alpine days of yore. I never participated in either. Too poor. :slight_smile: (or not motivated enough, as my father would have put it).

It makes me sad that you are taking fine Japanese engineering and jamming it into a Fud. :frowning:

1 Like

I hear you, but I’m not so sure “Celica” and “fine Japanese engineering” go together. Also, he never said the pickup in question is a Ford; his classic is a Ford. (Need pictures for proof; love me some F-1!)

Got the year, but how about make and model, 2wd,4wd, manual or auto trans etc.

The older the better…

1 Like

I have a recent-vintage aftermarket stereo that I’d happily donate to his project. It does mp3 off off CDROM media, so I’d guess early 2000s. He would need to buy the harness, as I don’t have that.

Blasphemy! I thought I knew you… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah- re-reading my message I should have been more clear. MY pickup is a 1950 F-1 (pictures below) that I don’t hesitate to fix.

My NEPHEW’s project is below. 1990 Toyota Pickup 2WD, 2.2 L 4 Cyl. I would never dream of putting Celica seats in a Ford, but they should slide right in on this truck (if my measurements are correct) and give him a center console.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

8 Likes

That would be awesome- thank you.

I completely agree with what I would want him to do, but he has a truck and budget, and we have a week before he goes back home. Plus I think a 350 in that pick up (see pictures) would be pretty awesome/impossible/ridiculous/my next project.

1 Like

For some reason I was reading 1990 Ford as well. Glad I wasn’t the only one mis-reading. Is the transmission standard? If it is a standard I’d highly recommend replacing the clutch if it hasn’t been done recently. What ultimately is he wanting to do to it? Does he want to bag it to slam it? Make it look better with wheels & tires? Paint colors I’d stay away from Reds, that get pricey.

The tires and wheels on the truck now are in good shape, he can get by without them. Mechanically it is in pretty good shape. His list of priorities are below:

Tune-up/couple of mechanical items (I added this first ($100))
Paint
Seats
New Dash (pick-a-part in Belton has one)
Stereo (???)
Speakers (???)
Rims (???)
Tires (???)

He put the rims and tires down the list because he can by with what he has now, the seats, dash and paint are “must haves”. Was really looking for a stereo expert who can weigh/possibly help us…

Tim

Ah. The venerable Toyota 22RE. Not much on power, but, if cared for, run FOR EVER.
Hopefully you can impart the importance of oil changes and oil level checking (every fuel up at first, taper off to every other, etc. as you get to know the engine, if prudent). These are sensitive to low oil levels, but otherwise, very, very solid.

Tim’s right about the clutch being a weak point, but me? I’d wait till it breaks (or you see eminent failure). It’s worse on the 4x4 (same clutch, more drivetrain mass).

I think you’re on the $ for what you have listed, except the paint. I’d try all the tricks out there to keep the factory. But you know your stuff.

Sorry I can’t help with the stereo. The folks I know who are “into” this at all, are agog over these:
https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/s-v/toyota-head-units.html
(I think they look like junk with interesting features, but as noted, not my bag).

PS thank you for the F-1 PRON! THAT is a beautiful piece of machinery!

Make sure brakes are in good working order. Then the tires are safe and driveable … agree upgrade later. Those are the two main safety items I’m want covered.

Then the tune-up and pretty much the rest of your list. @TLAR can give a better list than I could - but those would be my first two items. Bucket seats I think would be considered a safety item, keeps girlfriends that dig scars a few inches away while driving.

1 Like

Very nice Ford - very nice indeed.
Let me be the first to say that it is GREAT to see a vintage vehicle(truck n this case) that is NOT on air bags and lowered to drag on the ground.

8 Likes

David brings up a good point. Brakes, very very important. My first car was lost because of a lost clutch. My second car, my brakes went to to floor 5 miles from home. The hoses were dry rotted, we managed to only hit a trash can trying to stop it.

4 Likes

With any “new to you” car that is several years old it is always a good thing to do a complete check out of maintenance items and the various systems in it.
I’d suggest all fluids and filters (unless reliable paperwork shows it has been done recently) as a start.

Then check & or replace or plan to replace any parts that show signs of wear etc (not in any particular order):
Coolant and hoses, gently pressure test the cooling system, fan water pump…
Compression test during your “tune up”.
Cap, rotor,plugs,wires, etc
Check for oil leaks - valve cover gaskets are “easy” & valve adjustment if applicable.
Belt or belts.
Battery - fluid level, corrosion, connections, and battery mount.
heat/air conditioning - summer is coming.
wiper/washers, lights, horn
Steering, suspension, brakes, tires.
Engine and Transmission mounts
Does it have a spare tire and a spare tire mount (not sure why so many trucks in Texas do not have spare tires…)
Overall under/outer body condition, doors open and close(a few drops of oil on the hinges and check straps doesn’t hurt) & grease on the hood latch, and tailgate latch.
Exhaust from the manifold back, condition, secure? holes? rust? etc.
Inside:
Seat belts. instruments and idiot lights all function? windows, weatherstripping, no water leaks etc.
Keep any change found under or behind the seats for later.
Enjoy.

4 Likes

I’ve never figured that out either. I should probably remember to look under my truck more often to be sure it hasn’t been stolen.

Meanwhile, what do we do with any vehicle that is 16 years old, and still has the factory donut still in the trunk? I’m not sure if I’m more scared of the risk of failure due to age if used, the price to proactively replace, or the risk of discovering it isn’t available any more.

1 Like

Donut spares were never a “good” solution in the first place they are just barely enough for a 'emergency" etc
I’d ask if there is room in your boot for a full sized matching tire/wheel and go that route if possible.
They have a serviceable life expectancy like normal tyres…but I don’t know what the answer is for a “new” replacement. Call me happy all my vehicles have ‘normal’ spare tires

2 Likes

Forget paint. I would be thinking a Rhino liner style finish or a wrap. Just my thoughts

1 Like