Museum stays or goes?

As I said earlier…

just offering my opinions.

Amen. That’s extremely important. Every strategic decision we make for the committee needs to be able to be justified in terms of how it serves our purpose. So we need to have that crystal clear.

Agreed. We need to focus on novices. Which is why I want to enable learning how to make stuff with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos.

I also think having community events for professionals who don’t need as much help learning would be useful to people and would not take many resources. I’ve been to meetups for iOS developers and it’s a lot of fun and interesting conversation.

Just like to comment on a few points and don’t get me wrong here I’m going to be doing the due diligence of any person especially one coming from a project management background.

how having an exhibit of vintage computers fits into our mission or the broader DMS mission.

We talked about that one; several of the master classes and youtube series hing on those machines being available for anyone to come to the space and run those programs on.

Key part is getting them in the door; then from there showing that there’s all this great stuff(ie tech, tools, equipment, and classes) that only available in the committee area and unique to dallas makerspace.

of course one can also ask; have you ever once programmed for a constraint system such say for MS-DOS or classic mac? Working with those systems one gets to appreciate efficient algorithms, data planning, and architecture design. All things lost on today’s programmers whom have too much ram or compute to even effectively code.

A framework isn’t going to fix one’s bugs automagically; that’s a good programmer. And getting good programming requires training, practice, inspiration, community, and a place to support that.

lot of things poorly or leaving them incomplete has been one of the principal shortcomings of the committee.

Instead of debating on what we are; shouldn’t’ the conversation be how can we complete things and incorporate the community in these projects? one man does not make a community or committee nor does one project.

We have many minds here in our community; many love to contribute. Shouldn’t we be engaging them to help finish committee projects?

We need to focus on novices. Which is why I want to enable learning how to make stuff with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos.

One once told me that they will not discuss the high level items well that sounds very high level. How is it going to be any different than existing youtube videos, instructables, and all the blogs already out there? In what way does this “enable learning” look like? How would any of this convert individuals into engaged members of the makerspace and committee?

5 Likes