Murphy Bed Build Recommendations?

I’m going to build a Murphy Bed into my cargo van conversion. Something like this.

Does anyone have experience in something like this? I’m just looking to get thrown in the right direction. I see where to buy the hardware, but can’t seem to locate solid plans and/or instructions. What type of wood? Vibration concerns? Wood to metal joining? etc etc

Bonus points if you know of an article that tells me how to stain the wood like the guy did in the link!

3 Likes

I built a Murphy Bed in our guest room as well as one in my in-laws craft room. I used [an older version of] the Create-a-Bed hardware from http://www.wallbed.com - they give you all the instructions you’ll need. The same hardware can be used for a vertical build (as I did) or a horizontal build (as you’ve exampled in your link).

As for materials - the Create-a-Bed people insist on 3/4" plywood, which is what I used.

7 Likes

Check out the various approaches on Instructables: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=instructables+murphy+bed

I’d suggest perusing as many of them as possible, as your final solution will likely incorporate ideas and inspirations from several of the 'Ables.

3 Likes

Ya, that butcher block looks pretty slick.

Thanks @Jchon_Paradise and @mblatz. Good stuff! I’ll definitely use that info!

Hopefully, I won’t get stuck in it. Hehe

Just did a quick look at Instructables.com. There are at least three Murphy beds. Maybe something out of the bunch will help you. But they do show how they are made.

1 Like

Damn…I wish I’d thought about suggesting that!

I am looking at the Rockler bed hardware because it comes with a frame and slats.

The bed cabinet will likely be placed over the wheel well, so the mattress and pivot point will have to be raised up by about 18 inches. I’ll have to install taller support legs as the legs it comes with would be too short.

I could buy leg brackets and make my own support legs.

This Instructable is kind of what I mean, but mine would be raised a lot more and be horizontal.

What do you guys/gals think?

Can you tell me what stain were you interested in doing? Was it the bed, cabinet, top and/or everything. There are at least 3 different techniques used. Simple stain, lacquer and French polish.

Crikey! That will take you forever!

I’m not sure what kind of staining I want. If you look here, it will give you an idea. I really like that three stripe look. Hopefully, it isn’t the french polish. hehe @mblatz

It looks like the French polish is next to the 3 stripes. Actually I think it’s curly maple wood with clear coat. Can be done either way. The top (horizontal) stripes look to be your standard butcher board block with clear semi-glass poly. The vertical appears to be cherry x2 full on, no wipe off, walnut wiped down, and ebony 3x no wipe. Hope this helps.

@obiswill
Definitely helps. Thanks!

I’ve made progress on my design. Part of the issue was designing a bed in the van that can function as other things in order to optimize the limited space.

I give you… MEATSS! (Modular Entertainment and Tranquility Storage System… ya… the name needs work)
I’m super excited about this design that some friends and I came up with!!

Storage mode:
Murphy Bed and Sofa Bench are folded up. Storage is accessible from the top through lift-up compartments and front slideout drawers. Under the mattress is more storage. That is two compartments with 20" x 15" x 84" each for a total of 29 cubic feet! There will also be a storage compartment in the rear of the van for dirtier, outdoor things like climbing gear.

Couch mode: A panel folds down over the storage container and cushions are added to create a sofa bench. It is conveniently located across from where the table and swivel seats will be, creating seating for four. The sofa seat bottom folds back up and latches/connects to the bed wall.

Bed mode: The bed wall is pulled down over the storage container. Support legs will hold the weight on the outside portion of the bed. Swivel posts will support the weight inside the bed cabinet. The bed is raised back up slowly using hydraulic pistons.

Here’s what the entire floorplan will look like in Couch mode.

I’m needing some guidance, everyone. I plan to work on the MEATSS build over the weekend but am a little lost on how to start… do I install wall panels first? Build the bed but don’t mount it against the sheet metal? How do I mount it against the sheet metal? Do I need 1/2" plywood or 1/4", or should I use an alternative material? I’d be willing to pay for someone’s time if need be to help steer me in the right direction. This is one part of the build that I need your (DMS community) help with.

Thanks for the great feedback so far!