MultiCAM - Tram it Sam

Well, we tried a third technique where we shot the water putty into the groove via self filled caulk tubes and then finished with a putty knife. The water putty was mixed to a very thick waffle batter consistency.

At this point in the process we can easily say the surface looks great! Hey, don’t be so judgey.

Anyway, that’s a wrap for tonight.

5 Likes

You put the putty on top of the epoxy?

so you can putty while you putty

(You put the putty on top of the epoxy?) No, only by accident. We have three different sealing tests.

1. Water putty with the vacuum off and applied via putty knife.
  2. Water putty with the vacuum on, putty caulked into to slot and then finished with a knife.
  3. Epoxy with the vacuum on, caulked into to slot and finished with a knife.

All three of the processes were less than enjoyable. We will find out by measuring the zone’s vacuum as to effectiveness, then over time we will discover any longevity issues.

1 Like

Hello CNCers,
The circus is back in town. Time to slice some unwanted filler off of the vacuum board. The spindle program warmup has begun.

2 Likes

Before pictures prior to surfacing.

What 0.015 or 15 thousandth pass looks like.

For those wondering, yes it hurts when the cutter flings epoxy shavings into you. Feels like you’re being sand blasted.

First water putty failure. Manually applied without vacuum being on. We will dig it out and reapply.

Update: First pass complete.

Halfway through the final pass.

Final pass update:

The table looks great!

7 Likes

First indication that the surface to phenolic vacuum sealing solution is holding up. The inline vacuum filter isn’t clogged up after all of the surfacing passes. Experienced users will appreciate the meaning of this.

2 Likes

Can we all just stop for a second and admire that sexy ass torque wrench. I mean, damn, she is a beauty, and help folks consistently lock in their endmill. Thank you thank you thank you for having 1 for the multicam

4 Likes

Except she isn’t smart enough to smack them on the back of the head when they try to torque the collet by holding both wrenches in their hands instead of properly backing the collet wrench against the z-axis plate like we have all been taught. I suspect this is the cause of the supposed “my bit came loose” accidents.

3 Likes

To be fair it is highly sketchy to really torque on that thing with barely mating collet wrenches that want to shoot off, especially in the direction of your bit. Always the operation that makes me most nervous.

Not sure 25 ft-lbs is "really torque"ing…
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/MultiCam_CNC_Router#Torque_Wrench_for_Collet

The collets and nuts have all been replaced. They won’t slip unless you don’t fully and properly engage them.

I’m reasonably confident 25 ft-lbs was the spec for the previous spindle that used ER-20 collets. Somebody needs to determine the proper value for the current ER-25 collets.

BTW, torquing to an equipment spec is about matching force to the design. The absolute number isn’t meaningful without context.

Would that spec come from the collet/nut manufacturer or Perske?

Need to base on the collet/nut I suspect. There is a big difference between a ER20 Mini and ER25’s:

https://www.google.com/search?q=torque+for+er-20+mini+collet

https://www.google.com/search?q=torque+for+er-25+collet

Hey, the MultiCAM is moving. No silly, not locations, better yet, to the next level of precision and ease of use.

Follow the next chapter at MultiCAM - Going to the dogs.

[MultiCAM - Going to the dogs]