MultiCAM Training/Authorization In the Times of COVID-19

remote login from home to the jump server and use the makerspace version of Vcarve. It’s what you’ll have to use if you use the MultiCam anyway.

That’s what I do but it’s not as smooth as running locally and if I walk away for too long it’ll shut down on me. And with my own copy I can have my own tool database.

Logging in works but it’s not ideal.

I have the VCarve Trial edition setup file from when I installed it in mid-2018 (VCarveProTrialEditionV9015_Setup.exe). Don’t know if it will work because it may automatically evolve to the more recent version. Anyway, available if you want to try it.

1 Like

I’ll PM you! That’s awesome.

Count me in.

Ian,
I get it, tools that cost as much as that machine does usually is a figure it out as you go… thank you

1 Like

Don’t the spoil boards need to leveled and surfaces everything these are replaced? If so, do spoil boards have a spec? Maximum, minimum and discard measurements?

Spoilboards are a “you know it when you see it” kind of thing.

If your depth of cut varies by much (e.g., all the way through in spots and onion skin on others) then it’s time to surface them (or you’re doing something wrong like forgetting a vacuum zone).

i am actually one of those people that took the class and isnt confident enough to take the test in person

2 Likes

I took the class and shortly after, got signed off but I can’t say I really got it. I didn’t use the thing for a couple of years and then paid @bertberaht for a little time to get me up to speed and also sign me off for working with plastic (basically a 102 course). Best money I’ve ever spent on a one-on-one. That’s when it really clicked for me.

2 Likes

It won’t click until you do a few pieces. I was extremely nervous the 1st time I used a CNC machine as big as the multicam. My hand was on the emergency stop the entire time. :joy: Practice will help build your confidence.

My suggestion would be to find someone who is about to use the CNC and ask to watch them set it up and go through the process. Then after you get signed off, ask some people to watch you do the setup your first few times on your pieces to make sure you did it correctly. That will help build your confidence and you’ll be ready to do stuff on your own. :hugs:

2 Likes

I thought I’d hijack this thread a bit. @gav says that he’s got some experience with CNC routers, and was wondering what he’d need to do to get trained as an instructor. @IanLee?? His original post is over on the Quarterly Request thread.

3 Likes

I am interested in paying someone to tutor me on the multi-cam, I have lost my notes, they were in a spiral not book. Anyway I need help writing a program required in building my spokes for the antique fire engine. Ian has already wrote the program once. I would be willing to purchase special bit that is needed for cutting thick spokes. The fire department is on my but to get this engine finished. Need help.