MultiCam - The Next Generation

• Status Update *

As promised, alpha testing for the new Multicam configuration is beginning this week. A small group of recent and accomplished users have volunteered to be the guinea pigs so you don’t have to be. They will be running files created by VCarve’s CAM module, version 11.

More to come soon.

4 Likes

Do you have any solace for Mac users? Is the old MS Remote Desktop / old Vcarve setup still available?

Not at this point. You can still design on the jump server in 9 and bring your file in for Vcarve 11 CAM.

We will have to figure this out as the project moves forward.

Will 11 open version 9 files?

Yes, but 9 cant open any changes made in 11.

Yep 9 won’t open 11 at all.

So was the MS Remote Desktop option no longer available from Vcarve or it was decided to go another direction?

We are not sure yet. @jast will release his findings as they are discovered. Vcarve 11 is available as a Windows application.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Vcarve Makerspace Code

Status Update

The first alpha tester @Hanna_Kessler completed their fixture project tonight. We certainly found issues with the tool library. The machine itself performed as designed.

This is a picture of the project.

This will be used as the spoil board/fixture to hold blanks will be held during machining.

After which our second alpha tester @Brian arrived to begin his journey. We went through the machine setup and discussion of the machine’s capability. Since the night was growing late, we decided to wait until tomorrow run his first test job.

Our good Multicam friend and resident Mulitcam expert @fedakkee stopped by to visit with @Brian and I to discuss all the new capabilities. You might have heard the urban legend of a member that taught himself CAD and the Multicam by creating actual violins on the machine. Truth is, this wasn’t a legend, they were amazing creations. He had some great input on the class design and future Multicam enhancements to consider such as increasing the Z height via gantry blocks. We look forward to including him in the courseware development.

Until next time.

9 Likes

Yes. Adding blocks was the plan and to be done when the CNC was moved as part of the expansion. That was driven by the addition of the phenolic grid which took 1/2" from Z. Will be a necessity with all the extra Z consumption of the new spoilboard logic.

@themitch22 and I had discussed. Blocks is the way Multicam does Z adjustments in the builds.

2 Likes

if you need more testers let me know please

2 Likes

I shudder to think of the repercussions of upsetting the tram and alignment of the machine that would result in touching the gantry at this point.

So, like you have mentioned, this would seem to be a task best approached when the machine is moved.

Just thinking about what this would entail so distasteful.

How is the epoxy begging coming along:)

Maybe, but maybe not. I’d get in touch with a field rep from Multicam to see how they would approach it. That said, if you prepped two machined blocks to fit, jack the gantry up, insert and reattach … realignment should not be that hard. It’s just the top section that’s involved. The gearing and linear bearings aren’t involved.

1 Like

Hey @themitch22 - :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, not hard when you have a fine playmate like @TBJK who could probably align a machine while walking a tightrope and eating a sandwich!

2 Likes

While wearing a mask.

4 Likes

@bertberaht is basically correct. As long as it doesn’t affect the Z-axis stroke for most users that’s how I’d do it. You might get 1in or so.

2 Likes

any updates? Just curious to see how it’s going.