Multicam spoilboard pretty beat up

I noticed yesterday the multicam spoilboard took a pretty bad beating (see below). I’m not sure who the point of contact for multicam maintenance is but if there is going to be a replacement soon I’d really like to help and learn about spoilboard resurfacing.

4 Likes

@Team_Woodshop

I believe @themitch22 mentioned the head is out of tram and needs to be remounted. Looks like we may need some more spoilboard from those pictures, and especially after the fire that just happened.

That damage to the spoilboard isn’t because the spindle is out of tram. It’s because people aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do. You don’t “accidentally” cut 1/4" into the spoilboards.

4 Likes

Yea the damage was pretty severe not like “ghost” cuts from cutting through a part by a few thousands. In line with @mdredmond the bit was still in the router and all the waste from the cuts was stacked next to the machine.

I know what I’d do if I were woodshop chair… @IanLee

1 Like

Thanks for the report. Do you know who the previous user was?

I don’t sorry; I came in to use a lathe yesterday around 9am and noticed the condition.

@jensenXnewman I can show you and a few people how to mill the spoilboards down, I have today and tomorrow night available before I leave.

3 Likes

I want to come and participate. I can come tonight or tomorrow night. Just need a few hours notice.

1 Like

Hey Mitch that would be great. Could we do tomorrow sometime after 5 pm?

1 Like

Yeah let’s do tomorrow around 7pm

1 Like

Works for me see you then

I would like to learn and watch the process also, I just saw that you plan on 7pm Tuesday, do you have room for 1 more to check out the process?

Thank you

I’m not sure when the photo was taken but it wasn’t 11 hours ago. Someone accidentally caused a fire on that section last night. I’m not sure if the post is still up but it was reported.

Im not sure if it really matters but I had a look at the bed last night. One or two of the support squares, near where the fire was, look slightly raised and deformed. Not sure if or how we fix that.