Multicam slopes

What’s the typical way to do slopes on the multicam? I’m making a drop on panel for my balcony, which has a grate floor. I’m looking to carve slipped channels so water drains out the side and still provides grip when wet.

Additionally, I’ve been debating some of the precast plaster panels rather than wood. It’s up in the air, but I’m wondering if this can be done on the machine. I assume I’d need to remove the dust boot and follow it with a shop vac like when working with plastics if it can. I can also procure my own bits of needed.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

Having a hard time visualizing what you’re wanting. Can you illustrate a little better?

1 Like

I can upload a drawing when I get to a computer, but basically a v carve to create a series of grooves starting at the middle of the panel and just scratching the surface, getting progressively deeper until it hits the edge of the panel where there is a drain channel.

1 Like

Jim, how thick is the material and how deep do you want the channels at deepest point?

Would be ez-pz if DMS had Aspire, but VCarve can be used if you are comfortable editing the toolpath manually. PM a VCarve file and advise what depths you want where and I’ll look at it.

1 Like

Material would likely be 1/2-3/4", deepest groves 1/4-1/2 depending on the material used.

When I get the rest of the design finished I’ll send it on over.

-Jim

@hon1nbo @bertberaht

Wouldn’t Fusion 360 handle it with no issue?

1 Like

It’s not the CAD, it’s the CAM. I don’t think we’re setup to do CAM from Fusion on the multicam

We can, Multicam provides two posts in fusion. You’ll have to look up which one to use but it works great. I used it for rest machining on 2D stuff, but 3D toolpaths should work fine too.

@hon1nbo
@fedakkee had a super video of how to do it…filmed at the space…I haven’t done a project on the multicam…aside from my testout, but I’m planning on doing one soon in fusion 360

Link to the video? I have bulleted instructions but not a live action

The EASIEST way is to simply CAD the channels as straight constant depth channels. On the MultiCAM, secure your board slanted at the proper angle by propping one end of your work piece higher to create the slope. The downside is that you need to secure the piece mechanically since it will not be flat and the vacuum won’t hold it in place. Several woodworkers secure large irregular pieces by using flat boards on the vacuum table and attaching hold downs to these boards. In fact, under Makerspace Tools page on wiki for the MultiCAM, there is a picture of someone using this very technique. It may not be the most EFFICIENT way but it is the easiest.

@MrsMoose Couldn’t find the videos :frowning:

No, it’s easier to edit the toolpath.
Or use Fusion 360

1 Like

This requires re-aligning the piece halfway through since it would slope in two different directions; it’s a lot of hassle and chances of introducing error versus handling the CAM properly.

I’ll take a look at the fusion processors; I already use it for most things.

@bertberaht
Did we have a tool crib for the standard mills?

Guessing Did should have been Do … There are 2 drawers in the CNC cabinet with mills arranged in foam cutouts by type. There is additional inventory in the brown cabinet under the RFID scanner.

@bertberaht
Whoops! My poor communication. I wasn’t referring to a physical tool crib…I was referring to one for f360; where someone had fitting feeds/speeds for our standard endmills, v’s, and ball ends…

I think there was one...

you can also use blender. just a matter of appropriate file format to export and then in vcarve et al generate the appropriate tool shapes.

i was having issues getting fusion 360 to work on the computers so i just end up doing blender shrug

OK, resurrecting this to confirm what I told @hon1nbo last night. VCarve has more capability for flute definition than I was familiar with and as a result, can do exactly what is needed for the balcony floor drain. Note the setup selections in the attached image. In addition to what is shown, all flutes need to have the vector start point at the end toward the center and then the flute will cut evenly from the center to the edge with a final depth as set in the “cutting depth” section. Learn something every day!

2 Likes