Multicam Slide Show

If you haven’t had a reason to drop by the Woodshop lately, there is a mighty nifty slide show going on at the end of the Multicam. Greg Kelley @Jeeves not only donated a TV, but helped get all the software goodies set up for the display. Judy Kriehn @jrkriehn knocked it out of the park with great displays that bring color and humor along with helpful hints and reminders about operating the Multicam.

If you have a committee challenge getting info to equipment users, maybe there is some element of what’s been done here that can be useful for other parts of DMS.

FYI: @Team_Education, @Committee_Chairs

10 Likes

This is brilliant.

People today seem to learn with and watch video but seldom read anymore. Sad, I think, but I can tell you this is true of many of the recent employees I’ve hired, especially the younger generation. This comment is supported by my millennial son,too. I have an extensive library and he’s seldom availing himself of any of the books. Mostly he uses vimeo or youtube or some other web resource for all of his informational needs. Video and hands on is the secret to teaching and reminding of the correct use of equipment.

Nice job Greg, Judy and Bert! Maybe you’ll see an improvement in the correct use of the Multicam.

1 Like

Dan, thanks for the comments. Communicating to DMS members is quite a challenge in part due to the extreme range of personal skills and preferences. There are super techies and “not remotely interested in tech” types, members who prefer to read, and members who don’t read. One of the recent DMS members @Holliday has experience with this challenge and advises multiple communication channels to “meet people where they are,” and the slides and videos put out by the Multicam SIG are a step in that direction.

Still kicking ideas around about how to best deal with the infrequent user who simple isn’t going to retain nuances of training. Just In Time training and quick warnings of things to avoid are potential avenues to explore.

I have a personal belief that getting the job/project finished quickly ranks higher in maker priorities than does following all the training steps. That said, I think makers are also highly motivated to not be embarrassed by doing something dumb. May end up experimenting with visual reminders of the 3-5 dumb things that can happen in a maker process. If one can be quickly reminded of what to avoid … then most folks will try to find a way to not be “That Guy” who did “That DumbThing”. If we can find a method to do that … it turns a natural human emotion into useful guidance.

1 Like