MultiCam not available

Check slop in the nut where it turns freely, if the screw was damaged and the nut repeatedly driven into the damaged area there is likely wear in the nut, might take a dial indicator to measure the slop.

That would require drilling (and tapping?) the aluminum structure that forms the X-Z axis. I suspect it’s less labor to replace the damaged parts.

The working height is a constant complaint from the folks who use the machine to flatten and shape rough cut stock. Removing another inch or two would seriously chafe some butts.

This doesn’t sound like an inch or two and seems like it would be better to lose a little height while replacement parts are on order vs the machine being down

it goes up and down fine, but as it gets right to where the Z limit switch is, the nut gets really tight on the screw. I tried with belt and motor engaged and it binds and skips at the exact same place at the top and near bottoming out at the bottom.

Parts will be here tomorrow.

7 Likes

I’m guessing they weren’t ordered from repairtoolparts.com

1 Like

Z-axis lead screws, bronze nut, bearings, and belt all replaced.
Trammed the spindle again within 0.001".
Applied plenty of Super Lube so it doesn’t squeak.

I filled some of the spoilboard gouges and milled the spoilboard.

It is a 1/2"-5 acme lead screw with bronze nut. Maybe if we made a custom Z-nut mount and turned down the shaft for the pulley we could replace it with a ball screw. We need to keep this lubricated probably weekly with Super Lube to keep it from squealing and wearing the bronze quickly.

9 Likes

If we’re ready to roll, can we change the title here to “resolved” or so?

Thank you, each of you, for working on this!

3 Likes