MultiCAM - Going to the dogs

The four inch test. We moved the bit in four inches and touched the sample board. We then measured with a caliper and it showed the following for X and Y axis.

Obviously the minion can’t hold a caliper correctly, but is pretty good for a wood cutting machine. This had a lot slop in it. Numbers could actually be better.

1 Like

This represents the documentation written to explain how the registers were programmed.

3 Likes

Someone only has 594 left to do.

5 Likes

What’s the plan for the BYOWB? Chase the fly cutter with a vacuum?

1 Like

Lookie, lookie, machine shop produced a whole litter last night. Thanks @TBJK siring such good looking dogs. You also work fast.

1 Like

What is with all the details? I see your point. I guess follwn git with the vacuum hose could work if you ran at around 10 ipm, or some other turtle speed. Let’s see how the dust boot goes. Hopefully we have VCarve 11 installed so you can CAM on it. I have zero ideas on what has been changed, if anything, over two major releases.

See gang, this is why that last 20% is always a bear.

An Z independant dust boot would be neat.

1 Like

What is the current estimated date that the multicam will be available for member use? If this is the wrong thread for this question, can someone point me in the right direction? Haven’t seen any updates on the DMS tool status board… not sure if anyone uses that anymore.

Don’t get me to telling fibs. We hope to have the new Vcarve qualified for our controller this weekend. Our CTO @jast has declared this must be done before we move forward with the upgrade. We have entered the part of the project that is very linear in execution. We have also begun to hit personal conflicts in available time. With that said, we want to begin the refresher training as quickly as possible. Please understand that depending on how frequently, and how recently a member has used the machine will determine the training/retraining requirement. We are recruiting experienced trainers to teach the new Vcarve software. We are wishing to follow established corporate training paths. Get people who are great trainers first, SMEs second.

2 Likes

and for anyone who’s asking when this is going to be back up because they have to hit a deadline - they are all working as volunteers. you probably shouldn’t base your business deals on makerspace tools

7 Likes

I appreciate the status update - to ask the same question a different way what is the current estimated date the refresher course is anticipated to begin? I’m just looking for a date response with the understanding that it’s only an estimate etc etc. Thanks again for your response!

• New MultiCam Design Software *

Good news. @jast & @IanLee have finalized the paperwork needed to acquire VCarve version 11 for the Multicam. We can now begin working through the tool library and figure out what will be required in order to share tool settings with the authorized users.

The old workflow was for users to either:

1. Sign-on via the jump server and use VCarve as a remote desktop application and design their job.
  2. Design their job in a CAD application of their choice and then goto step 1 above and import the DXF into VCarve for creating CAM tool paths.

The new workflow will not require using the jump server for design. Each user can download a full copy of VCarve for use on their personal computer. All design can now be done offline, while sitting beside a lake in the Swiss Alps that doesn’t have Internet reception. The workflow will continue untethered up until the point that the G-code needs to be saved. At this point the user will visit a designated DMS workstation where they will open the pre-created file and export the G-code for the job

We will be sharing a detailed workflow during the VCarve to MultiCam CAM class.

We are still waiting for the software and have not configured the new tool library, or figured out how we can share it with the user base.

Users who also use VCarve to drive other devices at DMS like PlasmaCam, Fusion Laser, Shapeoko, etc, will probably have a few more steps to follow.

On a different note, we are finalizing the design of the new dust boot and are optimistic it will provide a see through area for the cutter & hopefully float along the surface of the job. This could turn into to a working prototype with upgrades over time since we are trying to loc it down quickly.

If you have read this far, then here is the link for your free copy of VCarve. We will be providing an unlock license code in the following days. The key will lock your copy to the DMS CAM engine. You will be able to do everything except export G-code on your personal computer.

This software shows to be a evaluation version, but converts to an actual license when you provide the unlock code.

The download is roughly 1GB and is a Windows application. If you use a Mac then you need to follow your setup regarding running windows applications. Of course the software will be installed on graphics stations at the space for member use.

Note: You do not need to register at this point. There is a download as guest link at the very bottom of the dialog

https://www.vectric.com/free-trial/vcarve-pro

We will be publishing a list of tutorials for self starters in the near future and will also be providing classes on VCarve basics for those members who best learn in a class room setting.

3 Likes

I use Macs and have never run Windows (or Windows Apps) software on any of my various Macs. If I solve this situation, will we need to set up the environment separately on each device? And sync them manually?

I run VirtualBox from Oracle. Some people run Parallels, while others dual boot into Windows. Personally I’m fortunate to have a nice understanding of virtualization. The downside is I’m pretty much worthless helping beginners.
If were in your shoes I would take a long look at this solution.

It is a long time standard from running Windows on a Mac and should result in many hits when you are searching for help.

2 Likes

Im fortunate to not own a Mac but I can vouch for VirtualBox. It’s pretty sweet.

VirtualBox has a version to work on my Mac OS 12. Any idea if their free version will meet the needs of our proposed CNC process?

VirtualBox is a quasi industrial grade program. It runs pretty much everything including Windows, which runs the CNC software we use. For most people the question becomes if it is suitable for their level of need and knowledge. If a user doesn’t possess a reasonable level of network or software engineering knowledge they might find it unusable. With that said, if you find it confusing after installation, I would spend the money and buy an end user compatible product. Do not take this path to save a $100 $80 unless you have the many hours to burn it could very well take you.

Better than ssh, this is the user interface:

You have control over most all settings, and responsibility for everything. Best of luck.

The next thread for the MultiCam project

1 Like