Multicam Collet Nut Wrench Holder

@Brian has been working on various 3D printed ideas to make using the Collet Nut Crown Wrench easier to do. His latest invention is quite promising … it is basically a holder for the wrench that get a little better grip on the nut while providing a more hand friendly handle. :+1:

Place the torque wrench on the flats of the spindle, slip the wrench on the nut and brace the wrench handle against the Z support plate … the handle definitely makes it easier to do.

Alas, we still wait deliver of new wrenches to replace the existing ones, but this does help even with the current wear on the existing wrench prongs.

Separately, a lower profile wrench is still in the works to make it easier to install/remove large diameter mills such as the table surfacing bit and the large V-bit with replaceable carbide cutters. Progress has been hindered by both available volunteer time and the degree of technical challenge.

4 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!

Version 2 is ready-to-print. I plan to be at DMS tonight or tomorrow to print it. If it works, it will capture the nut and may make it possible for hands-free operation.

Once the wrench side is working well I’ll print one in PLA (much stronger) with a longer handle.

If you want, I could print it in Polycarbonate Carbon Fiber. It should be quite a bit stronger than PLA and I have an entire roll to burn through.

Thank for the offer!

Maybe. Right now I need to finish the design. Until that’s done it will be ABS (fast prints).

I can see some pros and cons to that material. We may have to run some small experiments; if you’re interested.

I am interested. For strength, ABS is stronger than PLA any day of the week. The only benefits of PLA are its stiffness, ease of printing, and natural composition.

Looks like a big improvement!

As a trivial nit, you might consider a hole in the handle so it can be hung or tethered.

1 Like

It is stored in a drawer

Thanks! You are going to really like revision 3 (once the problem it is meant to solve has been solved so it could eventually be revision 37 but I’ll get there).

2 Likes